Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics

Medical Topics Got a question about a medical issue? You may ask here anonymously (log out to do so) and ensure that only you know who posted the message.

Old May 4th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Unregistered

FAA approved drug...Lithium?

Hello,
I'm only 44 in great shape been flying ELSA Rans S12, I've been taken Lithium for about a year now very low dose I want to get my Medical back. What say you guys do you think I can being on Lithium? I'll be on it for the rest of my life.

Thanks and Be safe!
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Posted in reply to Unregistered's post "FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: Henning)
Taxi to Parking

Re: FAA approved drug...Lithium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello,
I'm only 44 in great shape been flying ELSA Rans S12, I've been taken Lithium for about a year now very low dose I want to get my Medical back. What say you guys do you think I can being on Lithium? I'll be on it for the rest of my life.

Thanks and Be safe!
I'm sure Bruce will be by with the definitive, but I'd suspect the short answer is, "no". It's not just the meds but the underlying condition that's an issue.

All life is precious, the problem is there is just too much of it.-Dali Lama
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM
(User ID: steingar)
Touchdown! Greaser!

By Odin I hope not. Forgive me, I know it's mean, and I don't like to be so. But those suffering the illnesses treated by lithium should not be flying aircraft. Even though the illness may be in remission now, it could return and affect your judgment.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Unregistered

Should not be flying" Yeah right so what I have a little bi-polar. Lithium is all-so used to treat cluster head-aches.
So your BS comment about "Anybody on Lithium should not be flying" Is a bunch of bull...
Get you facts!

I suppose you are going to tell me I should not be scuba diving either? How about driving a car?? That's the most risk a person does everyday and driving and talking....wow!

How about serving in the Arm-forces protection your rights? If it was not for people like me you could not lay your head down at night and be save!!

What do you know about Lithium?? Come on tell me!
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Posted in reply to Unregistered's post "Re: FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: Cap'n Jack)
En-Route

Quote:
Should not be flying" Yeah right so what I have a little bi-polar. Lithium is all-so used to treat cluster head-aches.
So your BS comment about "Anybody on Lithium should not be flying" Is a bunch of bull...
Get you facts!

I suppose you are going to tell me I should not be scuba diving either? How about driving a car?? That's the most risk a person does everyday and driving and talking....wow!

How about serving in the Arm-forces protection your rights? If it was not for people like me you could not lay your head down at night and be save!!

Steingar is a biochemist and has probably forgotten more about this stuff than most people have learned.
Cap'n Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:14 PM
(User ID: TMetzinger)
Final Approach

And "a little bi-polar" is probably a lot disqualifying. What I've learned from reading Bruce's comments is that the FAA is taking the same sort of baby steps regarding mental illnesses that they did with diabetes. And eventually diabetes went from being "hell no" to "special issuance for certain cases" to a well-defined process that gets most of the diabetics out there eligible for some sort of certificate.

My "guess" is that there will be a similar long, careful process for things like SSRIs and such.

The first myth of management is that it exists.
The first myth of communication is that it's occurred.
TMetzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #7
Unregistered

Ok, here I'll settle down LI is a natural element, found in our water and food. LI is on the element chart just like 'K' or 'P' . You are consuming small amounts of it every day.
Do you know what Neurogenesis, LI will promote/increase gray matter in your brain.

So are you saying I should not be flying E-LSA either?
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM
(User ID: TMetzinger)
Final Approach

Quote:
Ok, here I'll settle down LI is a natural element, found in our water and food. LI is on the element chart just like 'K' or 'P' . You are consuming small amounts of it every day.
Do you know what Neurogenesis, LI will promote/increase gray matter in your brain.

That's a question for you and your doctors. If they're not comfortable with you driving, then you shouldn't be flying. Or, if they tell you you shouldn't be flying, then you shouldn't be flying.

The first myth of management is that it exists.
The first myth of communication is that it's occurred.
TMetzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:57 PM
(User ID: Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe)
Final Approach

To answer the original question, not a chance in h e double hocky sticks that you would get an FAA medical.

"That's the way the rules appear to read, but the Chief Counsel..." - Ron Levy

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Taxi to Parking

Quote:

Like I said, it's about the underlying condition. What is the result if you do not take it? Can an attack of cluster headache be debilitating? Can it effect your vision or ability to think reasonably? The issue is to further restrict the people you can kill the more likely you are to be debilitated by the affect. With a Class III you can take 12 or so pretty easily. You'll need to wait for someone like Bruce.

Last edited by Henning; May 4th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
(User ID: Ron Levy)
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Based on your posts, probably not. But as stated by others, that's a matter for you to discuss with whoever's prescribing the lithium. If that medical practitioner agrees that you can safely perform as a Sport Pilot, then legally you can do so. Me? I'd need to fly with you some before I'd be able to say that, although to be honest, based on your posts, I'd be operating on a "guilty until proved innocent" basis.
Ron Levy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy View Post
Based on your posts, probably not. But as stated by others, that's a matter for you to discuss with whoever's prescribing the lithium. If that medical practitioner agrees that you can safely perform as a Sport Pilot, then legally you can do so. Me? I'd need to fly with you some before I'd be able to say that, although to be honest, based on your posts, I'd be operating on a "guilty until proved innocent" basis.
It's so rare we agree....

Old May 5th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #13
(User ID: bbchien)
Final Approach

It is not on the acceptable list of medication for severe headache. 'Course you never told what subtype of headache you are thought to have....and many true bipolars present with headache.

Lithium has an extraordinarily terrible side effect profile for aviation. It also affects judgement and sleep cycles. It also rots your glomeruli.

You will also be fighting the presumtion of bipolar diesase right to the NTSB.

Have you got $300,000 for experts? If you do, have at. But the Federal Air Surgeon, Federal Psychiatrist, and the whole of AAM 200 will oppose you every step of the way. Actually, it'd be more like $500,000 in current dollars.

Most airmen, without psychiatric disease, would simply ask their docs to find something certifiable that works.

Last edited by bbchien; May 5th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
bbchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Unregistered

" Guilty" of what? Not being able to control the aircraft in a safe manner? I'm a Commercial rated pilot with over 2000+ hours, I have my own airstrip (hay field or gravel road).
20 years ago I was a lot worst I just had enough when I got in my forties so I went in.
So what I fly my M5-210c without a medical, the Rans I can fly without a medical so no harm there. Oh yeah I have over 600 hours of T/W time!
So please I see you have a closed mind!
I'll bet if I went in to renew my medical and I was not true-full on the app no one would be the wiser.
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM
(User ID: bartmc)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
" Guilty" of what? Not being able to control the aircraft in a safe manner? I'm a Commercial rated pilot with over 2000+ hours, I have my own airstrip (hay field or gravel road).
20 years ago I was a lot worst I just had enough when I got in my forties so I went in.
So what I fly my M5-210c without a medical, the Rans I can fly without a medical so no harm there. Oh yeah I have over 600 hours of T/W time!
I'll bet if I went in to renew my medical and I was not true-full on the app no one would be the wiser.
bartmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
No need to freak out, chill, take some Lithium... can you smoke it? You asked if you can get your medical back on that drug and the answer is no. Fly whatever you please with whomever in it. It will not be sanctioned or insured so the liability is all yours; that's pretty much the point that anybody quits caring. So long as you can't get a job flying, the FAA isn't that bloody oppressive in enforcement of medicals.

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:03 PM
(User ID: steingar)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Get you facts!!
I am sorry I offended you. I suspected I would. However, I have my facts. Lithium isn't prescribed for "a little bipolar" or pesky little headaches. The conditions permissive for it's use are potentially debilitating. In my opinion, anyone on this particular drug shouldn't be flying anything bigger than a kite.

Quote:
Scuba diving, for the most part you risk your self, and not the schoolyard full of children that might be the recipient of your flaming wreckage.

Quote:

It is a potent antagonist of canonical wnt-signaling pathways, which have tremendously important roles in development and homeostasis. I suspect it affects far more than just nephronal glomerulae, though I certainly have no data to back up my suspicions, although the usual treatment dose and the toxic dose are not far apart. I genuinely don't know why it has effects on mania, and I'm not certain it's mechanism of action is known. Wasn't last time I looked. The MDs might have one on my there.

That the armed forces entrusts lethal ordinance to manics neither surprises nor boosts my confidence any. Lucky for you, the FAA doesn't listen to me or my pals. They've created a class of license called Sport Pilot, by which you and your pills can fly all day. If you want to be in the air, I would suggest taking that tack. Dr. Chien is a foremost expert of what the FAA will or won't allow, I'd be surprised if he didn't know more than anyone else alive. We are truly fortunate to have his wise counsel. You might try heeding it.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #18
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
I am sorry I offended you. I suspected I would. However, I have my facts. Lithium isn't prescribed for "a little bipolar" or pesky little headaches. The conditions permissive for it's use are potentially debilitating. In my opinion, anyone on this particular drug shouldn't be flying anything bigger than a kite.

Scuba diving, for the most part you risk your self, and not the schoolyard full of children that might be the recipient of your flaming wreckage.

It is a potent antagonist of canonical wnt-signaling pathways, which have tremendously important roles in development and homeostasis. I suspect it affects far more than just nephronal glomerulae, though I certainly have no data to back up my suspicions, although the usual treatment dose and the toxic dose are not far apart. I genuinely don't know why it has effects on mania, and I'm not certain it's mechanism of action is known. Wasn't last time I looked. The MDs might have one on my there.

That the armed forces entrusts lethal ordinance to manics neither surprises nor boosts my confidence any. Lucky for you, the FAA doesn't listen to me or my pals. They've created a class of license called Sport Pilot, by which you and your pills can fly all day. If you want to be in the air, I would suggest taking that tack. Dr. Chien is a foremost expert of what the FAA will or won't allow, I'd be surprised if he didn't know more than anyone else alive. We are truly fortunate to have his wise counsel. You might try heeding it.
No, the mechanisms of Lithium treatment really are still not known or even reasonably suspected at this point. Conductivity booster?

Military claims have been falsified here before, I don't take them immediately at face value.

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #19
En-Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
No, the mechanisms of Lithium treatment really are still not known or even reasonably suspected at this point. Conductivity booster?
Already mentioned by Steingar.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #20
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
Already mentioned by Steingar.
Yep, that's who I was responding to, I keep up on the a bit of the latest reading since most if the girls I know are nuts...

Old May 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #21
En-Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
Yep, that's who I was responding to, I keep up on the a bit of the latest reading since most if the girls I know are nuts...
I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff and needs little help from the likes of us.

PS: You reading the National Inquirer isn't the "latest reading" to the real scientists here.

Last edited by Cap'n Jack; May 5th, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #22
(User ID: AdamZ)
Touchdown! Greaser!
Pilots Of America Management

Send a message via Skype™ to AdamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
By Odin I hope not. Forgive me, I know it's mean, and I don't like to be so. But those suffering the illnesses treated by lithium should not be flying aircraft. Even though the illness may be in remission now, it could return and affect your judgment.
Michael, Lithium is often used to treat conditions other than BiPolar disorder. it can and is often used to enhance the effects of SSRIs. As we know some folks with depression are now permitted to get a medical. Not sure if the SSRI exception is blown by addition of Lithium.

With reasonable men I will reason, with humane men I will plead, with tyrants I will show no mercy. Thomas Jefferson (carved on the Jefferson Memorial at the Tidal Basin)

Last edited by AdamZ; May 6th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
AdamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Posted in reply to AdamZ's post "Re: FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: bbchien)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Michael, Lithium is often used to treat conditions other than BiPolar disorder. it can and is often used to enhance the effects of SSRIs. As we know some folks with depression are now permitted to get a medical. Not sure if the SSRI exception is blown but addition of Lithium.
The SSRI protocol is for only one med at a time, and it must be one of the 4 named in the pathway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unreg
I'll bet if I went in to renew my medical and I was not true-full on the app no one would be the wiser. Yesterday 10:47 PM
I keep waiting for somebody on lithium to be reasonable and to NOT shoot back that he'll just lie, because he's fine. I am disappointed once again....and I know not why I keep waiting for somebody reasonable who takes that med.

You're not here to inquire, and I answered your question, for which I see was a waste of breath.

You know, you don't have to have a medical or a rating at all to fly. You simply do, however if you want insurance that will pay off. Please note that the first time you bend metal or violate ATC, the LiCO3 codes will be all over your insurance file (which is not a part of the medical record) and the subpoenas will fly. If they want to, they can levey a pretty stiff Civil Monetary Penalty for each time you violate ($2,000 per occurance).

Lastly, I hope you stay out of my airspace.
bbchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Unregistered

What makes you think people taking "Lithium" cannot operate as normal? What's normal anyway? I'm sure some of you drink way to much and are mean to your wifes or gay partners....
There's a huge difference from someone taking 1200mg to the 150mg I take. I did not lie nor distort the facts about my flying past. I'm willing to bet I get more flying time in per week then 90% of you clowns, so I know I'm current and safe.

I did my research before asking this board about 'LI' I have the link to the FAA drug database, I already knew it was not an approved drug. But I wanted to see your reaction, the clown pilot who said something about killing a yard full of school children, dude that's a huge leap don't you think? You want to imply I can not fully control the aircraft....WHAT?
If you were standing next to me you would not know the difference, and I'll bet you would fly with me no question ask! Yeah yeah you can come up with some bull about I don't fly with strangers...sure sure! Make it up as you go.

What I'm seeing here you people have an distorted view no facts not knowing jack about Lithium, I'll bet before me asking and you go Googling you had no ideal, other then the horror stories from the 50ies Zombie era.

I don;t need a piece of paper to tell me if I'm health enought to control the aircraft in a safe mannor.
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
(User ID: Anthony)
Touchdown! Greaser!

I don't know, maybe switch to Thorazine?

Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics