Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise (but no spin zone material, see below).

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

NOTE: Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged must be posted in The Spin Zone. To gain access to the Spin Zone, click this link and join the Spin Zone group.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
(User ID: Tarheel Pilot)
Position and Hold

Android Tablet

So Garmin has released their "Garmin Pilot" App for the iPad, iPhone and Android Tablets, so I'm now in the market for an Android Tablet that'll be my EFB, and I was wondering what's a good Android Tablet?
Tarheel Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Posted in reply to Tarheel Pilot's post "Android Tablet"
(User ID: CT4ME)
Position and Hold

Re: Android Tablet

Gotta decide size first... 10-9-8-7"?, cell/wifi or Wifi only?, then go from there. If you're going to do cellular, then the carriers you use will determine your choices. For the premium side you can't go wrong with Samsung, Moto, Toshiba. On the cheaper side take a look at Acer or Lenovo. Watch out for some, as they don't have GPS. While the ASUS Prime is hot, forget it, GPS problems. Sprint has a new 7" that's only $99 if you get the $19 cellular data plan. It has received good reviews.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:20 AM
(User ID: DeeG)
Position and Hold

Pretty danged happy with our Asus Transformer. Its not a Prime but this one:

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transform...sformer_TF101/

Its been a bit of a learning curve, coming from Windows based products. And there are still some websites that I can't access because of Flash Player conflicts, but other than that, its been a nice machine.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:50 AM
Posted in reply to DeeG's post "Re: Android Tablet"
(User ID: Allen C)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Send a message via Skype™ to Allen C

Droid Galaxy Tab here: Bought it for the clinic since an ipad is just too big to carry around. The 7" size is a perfect size for me. It fits in a lab coat pocket, or in the pocket of my cargo pants. I have the data/wifi version and find it rather handy.

Few quick observations: when flying with friends that have the ipad I notice that I have a usable signal much higher than they do. The best I have personally done was send and email at 10,000'. The ipad seems to get up around 6k. This will no doubt change based on your location and antenna density. I fly in Virginia so terrain is problematic.

The other observation is that apple has really figured out how to max a battery out. My friends ipads last days where my tab lasts hours. If I fly with the GPS on and pull up email, I will burn out the battery in about 4 hours.

The ipad has a much superior screen to my tablet in a brightly lit RV cockpit. When I look at weather on the ipad I can clearly see the radar returns; not so much with my tablet.

The last observation is as you are undoubtedly discovering, the droid app support is simply not as developed as apple. Many apps that I find exceptionally useful for flying (foreflight being the one I miss the most) have not migrated to the droid platform yet. However, I suspect that this will change as market penetration continues.

Food for thought.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
(User ID: CT4ME)
Position and Hold

My iPad only gets about 4.5 hours with moving map and cell on, too. With Garmin and Anywhere map having support for both iPad and Android, the pressure is on for the other guys to get cranking on Android. WingX has been promising a full-function equivalent for Android "very soon". My iPad(1) screen is about the same as my 7" Sprint Optik... they both suck in bright light. It's too bad the ASUS Prime has that GPS problem, as their screen has a Super-Bright mode that would help out in the cockpit. BTW, the new Samsung Galaxy 7.7 is supposed to have an awesome screen... size might be right, too.

Last edited by CT4ME; May 3rd, 2012 at 04:29 AM.
CT4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
Posted in reply to CT4ME's post "Re: Android Tablet"
(User ID: jtheune)
Pattern Altitude

I've got a transformer prime with a external blue tooth gps ( Dual 150 ) I'm using Naviator as a app and I like it a lot. I like the size of it as it displays procedures in near life size. You can get the geo referenced procedures now and the developer has promised support for the stratus ads-b receiver in the near future and it's not a apple product.
jtheune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
(User ID: JoeSelch)
Cleared for Takeoff

I have an Asus Transformer TF101 (original model) ... the GPS is built in and works well.
Some may find it a bit large in-cockpit use; but, I get so much use out of it in everyday life that I don't mind - and in fact find the size an asset most everywhere else.
Very good battery life and the docking keyboard/battery has been a real value-add for me.

My phone is also Android (rooted) and I can tether the Transformer to get data if I need it and WiFi isn't available. Although, I've only done this once and that was to test the connection.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
(User ID: bartmc)
Final Approach

Make sure the Garmin App works with the tablet you wind up buying, before you buy it.
I went into the store and started turning them on and trying to install it on each one, there doesn't seem to be a compatibility list and the only way I could find to see if the hardware was supported was to be using the device, not be logged into a google account and go https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cy.pilot&hl=en

it also won't show up in a search in Google Play if it's incompatible, causing frustration. I think a message that the app isn't compatible would be better than doing a press release then hiding it.
bartmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Posted in reply to JoeSelch's post "Re: Android Tablet"
(User ID: DeeG)
Position and Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSelch View Post

My phone is also Android (rooted) and I can tether the Transformer to get data if I need it and WiFi isn't available. Although, I've only done this once and that was to test the connection.

I use Easy Tether and my droid cell as modem for my desk top. How does one tether the cell to the Asus? I'd love to use the cell in the same manner for the Asus, but can't figure it out. I have to set up the cell as a hot spot.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
(User ID: flightwriter)
Pre-takeoff checklist

I played with Garmin Pilot during the free trial period on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi. It seemed to work well on that platform, and offers a lot of features, but wasn't worth it to me (just a lowly sport pilot) for the price once the trial expired. I can definitely see how it could help in more intensive operations.

I now use Naviator, which - while lacking some of the features and polish of the Garmin - also works very well on my Tab. The GPS signal is steady and accurate, and doesn't seem to use an inordinate amount of battery.

The 10.1 is a bit large for an LSA cockpit with two people onboard, but as others have mentioned the larger size is nice for readability, and is beneficial in normal use away from the airplane. I've been very impressed with the Galaxy Tab; when wifi isn't available I use my Galaxy S2 cell as a mobile hotspot.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special." -- James "Jimmy V" Valvano
flightwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
(User ID: Challenged)
Position and Hold

There's a new Transformer out now, the 300 series (I have the first one, the TF101, which has been great): http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-300/features/

Last edited by Challenged; May 3rd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Challenged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:38 PM
Posted in reply to flightwriter's post "Re: Android Tablet"
(User ID: Tarheel Pilot)
Position and Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightwriter View Post
I played with Garmin Pilot during the free trial period on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi. It seemed to work well on that platform, and offers a lot of features, but wasn't worth it to me (just a lowly sport pilot) for the price once the trial expired. I can definitely see how it could help in more intensive operations.

I now use Naviator, which - while lacking some of the features and polish of the Garmin - also works very well on my Tab. The GPS signal is steady and accurate, and doesn't seem to use an inordinate amount of battery.

The 10.1 is a bit large for an LSA cockpit with two people onboard, but as others have mentioned the larger size is nice for readability, and is beneficial in normal use away from the airplane. I've been very impressed with the Galaxy Tab; when wifi isn't available I use my Galaxy S2 cell as a mobile hotspot.
Well to be honest, I just want an app that has the following.

• Flight Planning
  • Airport Directory
  • Sectionals
  • logbook (both pilot and when I get my own aircraft aircraft logbook)

My flights are all VFR, so my needs aren't really that extensive. I already fly aircrafts that have GPS so GPS isn't really needed.
Tarheel Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk