Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following

Flight Following Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Old April 28th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1
(User ID: Let'sgoflying!)
Final Approach

Caution with tfrcheck.com

I have found it a reliable site for years but noticed today they are not updating the information (we have a fire TFR nearby but it has not been appearing on the site for several days).
(I realize they advertise to be unofficial)

In any case, there have been no recent feeds, see screenshot and time since last updated and 'be advised'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tfrcheck.JPG (64.5 KB, 21 views)
Let'sgoflying! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
(User ID: iflyatiger)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Re: Caution with tfrcheck.com

Thanks for the heads up.. Although I don't use that site your post was interesting to me.

The other day I was checking multiple times to see if a tfr would pop up for the space shuttles flight to NY. Unless I somehow missed it I did not see a Visual ( showing on a map ) tfr on either tfr.faa.gov or on foreflight.. But after reading that a tfr was issued and looking again I found the FTC text notam closing the Hudson river corridor.

I sure hope that we can still rely on these sites especially the faa.gov site to research tfr's
iflyatiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
(User ID: DouglasBader)
Line Up and Wait

Remember that fire TFR's can pop up unexpectedly and with very little warning, and that such TFR's do "travel;" they migrate with the fire, and change dimensions and times as needed.
DouglasBader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4
(User ID: Aeric)
Line Up and Wait

I always check faa.gov under the Regulations and Policies tab right before I walk out to the plane. I hope this is good enough, it's what I was taught. Is there a better way?
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Posted in reply to Aeric's post "Re: Caution with tfrcheck.com"
(User ID: DouglasBader)
Line Up and Wait

http://www.airspacecoordination.org/

A list of sites are at the bottom of the page.

It's common for TFR's to crop up while you're enroute, however; these don't exist at the time you depart. You're still responsible for avoiding the TFR.

One thing you can do is request VFR radar advisories ("flight following") when going cross country. It's no guarantee either, but it's a help. Depending on the length of your cross country, you can also contact flight service enroute and request updates of weather and flight restrictions/NOTAMs.

If you happen to see smoke, avoid it. Report it from a distance, but keep your eyes open for other aircraft which may be working the fire or enroute to or from the fire (bear in mind that those aircraft may be working five or more radios simultaneously, and some may be dealing with reduced visibility due to ash, retardant, and other fire products on the windscreen). Avoid those areas; they can be very congested and while everyone should be looking out for traffic, what they don't need is you in the airspace making one more hazard. It's hazardous enough.

You can't have real-time constant downloading or checking of NOTAMS or TFR's as you fly from A to B, but you can be thorough before departing, get updates as you go, and get with ATC where you're able to at least try to stay current on TFR's and other issues as they arise.
DouglasBader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
(User ID: Let'sgoflying!)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasBader View Post
Remember that fire TFR's can pop up unexpectedly and with very little warning, and that such TFR's do "travel;" they migrate with the fire, and change dimensions and times as needed.
Thanks, I am aware. This one had been there for >24hrs and still is not on tfrcheck.com.
I wrote the site mgr, no reply and the lastest update to the site is now ~6400 minutes.
Bookmark erased -they were user friendly.
Let'sgoflying! is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following