Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following

Flight Following Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1
(User ID: Capt.Crash'n'Burn)
Cleared for Takeoff

The best 4 seat STOL bush planes.

If you were to pick the ultimate bush plane for 4 people, what would it be? Something by Cessna? Maule? Found Aircraft? PZL Wilga? perhaps a homebuilt?

And I mean a REAL 4 seater, not something like a Tri-Pacer that only has enough room for a Hobbit pilot and co-pilot, and 2 Smurfs in the back seat.

Second question, what's a realistic number for the shortest take-off and landings possible for such a plane with 4 average adults??
Political tags such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort. Lazarus Long
Capt.Crash'n'Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
(User ID: Pilawt)
Pattern Altitude

Re: The best 4 seat STOL bush planes.

Helio Courier

Pilawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
Helio Courier
Do you know what its minimum take off roll is with 4 passengers??
Political tags such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort. Lazarus Long
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
(User ID: Greg Bockelman)
Final Approach
Pilots Of America Management

Can't tell you for sure, but I know it is pretty doggone short.

How short do you need?

-EDIT-

Apparently about 335 feet at sea level.

http://www.helioaircraft.com/ourplan...rier_stats.htm
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

-Helen Keller

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Greg Bockelman; December 7th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Greg Bockelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #5
(User ID: Pilawt)
Pattern Altitude

I've seen one report of 217 ft*; mfr claimed 335 ft roll and 610 ft over a 50' obstacle.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/helio_courier.php

Last edited by Pilawt; December 7th, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Pilawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bockelman View Post
Can't tell you for sure, but I know it is pretty doggone short.

How short do you need?

-EDIT-

Apparently about 335 feet at sea level.

http://www.helioaircraft.com/ourplan...rier_stats.htm
The shorter the better. Was looking at doing some rock hounding in remote areas with a couple other guys. I imagine a good bush plane and pilot will be cheaper than a helicopter.
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #7
(User ID: alaskaflyer)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
Helio Courier
I thought he was asking about 4 place airplanes?
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Final Approach

Many keystrokes and hangar sessions have attempted to suss this out. There is none. Easier to say what isn't.

My choice is an early 182 unless you need skis. Boring I know.

Edit: Or you can get a Wren, or the later Peterson 260SE, both modified later 182's. Heavier than a pre-1963 C182 but horsepower modifications, canards and wing modificiations made them great STOL performers.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; December 7th, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Posted in reply to alaskaflyer's post starting "I thought he was asking about 4 place..."
(User ID: Greg Bockelman)
Final Approach
Pilots Of America Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
I thought he was asking about 4 place airplanes?
Does it not hold 4 people? It fits the mission. He did NOT specifically say "4 Place".
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.

-Helen Keller

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin
Greg Bockelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bockelman View Post
Does it not hold 4 people? It fits the mission. He did NOT specifically say "4 Place".

Well sure it does. So does a Boeing 727 which arguably opened up the Alaskan bush as much as any airplane and has decent short field performance

I guess if you go back to the first variant it is a four-seater (the Helio not the 727 ). But then most of the attributes that make it a great low speed performer weren't added yet.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; December 7th, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #11
(User ID: bobmrg)
Cleared for Takeoff

You won't find many Helio Couriers sitting on the ramp at Bethel or King Salmon...more likely to see 206's, 180's, 185's etc. Some Cherokee Sixes.

Bob Gardner
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Final Approach

Try this. It might give you an idea.

More often than not a 182 wins the heavy touring class, and there are 172s in the light touring class that give the Maules and early C180's a run for their money.

It is often software not hardware that makes the difference

As a friend of mine often asks in these type of online discussions, what is your definition of bush? Popular USFS strips in Idaho? Farmer fields in Kansas? Riverbars in Alaska? Gastons?

So, aside from gently prodding Pilawt and Greg about the Courier...for four actual adults, and short rough strips at possible high CA density altitudes, you might actually need an aircraft that came with six seats, or at the very least the same HP as one. To play devil's advocate with myself the 182 becomes less fabulous with 900 lbs of human on board. C185, C206 come to mind. Maybe the Found Bushhawk.

C180, Maule are great airplanes and we use the heck out of them up here, but we are operating closer to standard conditions (cool temps and/or near sea level.)

Last edited by alaskaflyer; December 7th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmrg View Post
You won't find many Helio Couriers sitting on the ramp at Bethel or King Salmon...more likely to see 206's, 180's, 185's etc. Some Cherokee Sixes.

Bob Gardner
There is one that regularly works on wheels out of Fairbanks. The one that was often seen in King Salmon on floats had a wing fail in flight killing four people including a popular Arizona glider school owner working for the summer as a bush pilot, resulting in an AD requiring a significant inspection of all wing spar carry through structures for intergranular corrosion and cracking.
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #14
(User ID: Tom-D)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmrg View Post

Bob Gardner
that's because it has a GO-720- 400 horse in it, Smart folks don't want to feed it let alone maintain it.

My vote goes to the C-182 with the peeponk/bushwheel mod.

Last edited by Tom-D; December 7th, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Tom-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #15
(User ID: Dean)
Pattern Altitude

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean

Zenith 801
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #16
(User ID: N801BH)
Final Approach

Send a message via Yahoo to N801BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Zenith 801
I will second that ...

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

home of the most overpowered 801 in the world.
N801BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #17
(User ID: Richard)
Final Approach

Bushhawk

...glideslopes don't use runways as the reflecting plane, ever. ~ Flight check pilot
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #18
(User ID: EdFred)
Touchdown! Greaser!

V-22

CFI-ASEL ASES
AMEL

EdFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #19
(User ID: flyersfan31)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Pilatus Turbo Porter. Game over. Thanks for playing.

States I have flown to:
flyersfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Posted in reply to alaskaflyer's post starting "Many keystrokes and hangar sessions..."
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Many keystrokes and hangar sessions have attempted to suss this out. There is none. Easier to say what isn't.

My choice is an early 182 unless you need skis. Boring I know.

Edit: Or you can get a Wren, or the later Peterson 260SE, both modified later 182's. Heavier than a pre-1963 C182 but horsepower modifications, canards and wing modificiations made them great STOL performers.
Why would you choose the 182 over the 180 or 185??
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #21
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash'n'Burn View Post
Why would you choose the 182 over the 180 or 185??
Why would you choose the 185 or 180 over the 182?

The 182 is cheaper to buy and insure apples to apples, easier to land. Later models have a wider cabin than either of their taildragger cousins. The LZ will have to be mighty rough to justify the taildragger. And as the link to YouTube above shows often they will get off the ground faster and shorter than either a 180 or a Maule.

I love taildraggers but if you are asking about purely utilitarian factors, most of the time they have no advantage.

On the other hand see my post above about the 185's extra horsepower. Later ones came with 300hp.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Posted in reply to alaskaflyer's post starting "Why would you choose the 185 or 180..."
(User ID: Tim)
Position and Hold

Ford-Chevy!!!!!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Posted in reply to alaskaflyer's post starting "Why would you choose the 185 or 180..."
(User ID: elmetal)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Why would you choose the 185 or 180 over the 182?

The 182 is cheaper to buy and insure apples to apples, easier to land. Later models have a wider cabin than either of their taildragger cousins. The LZ will have to be mighty rough to justify the taildragger. And as the link to YouTube above shows often they will get off the ground faster and shorter than either a 180 or a Maule.

I love taildraggers but if you are asking about purely utilitarian factors, most of the time they have no advantage.

On the other hand see my post above about the 185's extra horsepower. Later ones came with 300hp.
taildragger can land in rougher terrain. other than that I agree with what you said
elmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:57 AM
(User ID: dmccormack)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to dmccormack

Quote:
Have you checked prop tip clearance above the ground on a C182/205/206?

There's not a lot of room between the ground and the tips.

Does that mean an automatic prop strike?

No -- but best case will be an early prop overhaul after it gets all dinged up from loose stuff on the ground.

I think the taildragger's principal advantage is in keeping the prop out of the gravel for most of the time the prop is likely to be in the gravel -- startup, taxi, runup, etc. Sure the advantage is lost once the tail comes up, but that's usually a short distance.

So while I agree a 182 or even (Gasp!) a Bonanza could be a good grass or dirt field bird, there will be costs that a similarly equipped TW will avoid.
Flight (and other stuff) Blog
dmccormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #25
(User ID: Tom-D)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
taildragger can land in rougher terrain. other than that I agree with what you said

I disagree, you'll rip the gear off a tail dragger just as quick as a trike.

the trike will not nose over as quick as the Tail Dragger.

The only advantage of the tail dragger is the taxi turning ability, and the prop clearance.

Big wheels on a trike are slower but they will get in and out of the same places as the TD.
Tom-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following