Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following

Flight Following Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Old January 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
(User ID: gismo)
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Cirrus SR-20 crash in western WI last night

Our local TV stations are reporting on a SR-20 that crashed near Menomonie on a flight from Sheboygan to New Richmond. There was a fire/explosion on impact so I guess it's unlikely to be fuel exhaustion. Sounds like 3 on board with no survivors.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:14 AM   #2
(User ID: flyingcheesehead)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Yahoo to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Skype™ to flyingcheesehead
Re: Cirrus SR-20 crash in western WI last night

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancefisher View Post
Our local TV stations are reporting on a SR-20 that crashed near Menomonie on a flight from Sheboygan to New Richmond. There was a fire/explosion on impact so I guess it's unlikely to be fuel exhaustion. Sounds like 3 on board with no survivors.
More on that:

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/38748657.html

Quote:
Witness Jackson McMahon of Menomonie told the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram that it looked like a big shooting star and he saw a "big pink glow" on the horizon.
A big shooting star? On fire before impact, maybe? I know how unreliable witnesses can be, but that's a new one.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM   #3
(User ID: gkainz)
Final Approach

What's the BRS look like at night when activated? I could imagine that looking like a "big shooting star"

Ten Hi Flyers - an Owners Flying Club at KBJC
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #4
(User ID: colomtnflyer)
Cleared for Takeoff

Fair Winds and Clear Skies, My Friends......

Many of you might be aware that I found PoA due to the loss of a dear friend and fellow ski instr/PSIA examiner, John Lancaster (FlingWing), when his helicopter crashed in the GoM.

I was devastated to find out this morning that this crash was two more of my ski instr friends. Larry Berg and his wife Vicki Garves-Berg were both ski instrs and Examiners with the Central Division of PSIA.

Vicki was also a part time instr with me here in Vail. We spent many hrs talking flying in the locker room and over a few beers. Just this past Xmas holiday, Vicki and Larry were telling me that they had sold their previous aircraft and were so excited about taking delivery of an SR-20. They had only taken delivery of their SR-20 a few weeks ago.

The following is an announcement distributed by the PSIA-C office.

PSIA-C Examiners Vicki and Larry Berg Lost in Plane Crash
Long-time Alpine Education Staff examiners Vicki Garves-Berg and Larry Berg perished when their private plane crashed in western Wisconsin on Friday, January 30, at shortly after 9:40 p.m. Cause of the fatal tragedy is not known as of Monday morning.
Larry and Vicki both served as Central Division examiners for many years, provided clinic leadership for PSIA events, and delivered clinic and technical leadership for several snowsports schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota. In recent years Vicki was a leader in rejuvenating and expanding Central Division's "Train the Trainer" accreditation program. Both Vicki and Larry served on the Alpine Education and Certification Committee. Vicki also was an instructor for Vail.
Larry and Vicki took delivery of their Cirrus SR20 several weeks ago, with the engine completely rebuilt by the manufacturer. News media reported that Larry was "an experienced pilot", and had filed a routine instrument flight plan from Sheboygan, Wisconsin to their home base in New Richmond, Wisconsin. When their plane disappeared from radar screens their assigned flight level was 4,000 feet. Local witnesses, who feared the aircraft might hit a nearby home, reported that they saw plane lights but did not hear any motor noise. Reports from the scene describe a wooded area, flames, and debris strewn over an area roughly 150 feet wide and 400 feet long in Dunn County, north of Menomonie, Wisconsin.
A third passenger, 44 year old Brett Weller, from Hudson, Wisconsin, apparently rode along with Larry to Sheboygan. There they picked up Vicki. Larry often flew Vicki to and from her anesthetist service provided to hospitals throughout Wisconsin.
This tragic loss of Vicki and Larry is painful for hundreds of friends and colleagues in the community of snowsports instructors. PSIA/AASI Central extends condolences to Vicki and Larry's families and friends. "The Bergs" will be missed.

May you find fair winds and clear skies, my friends..... you will be missed!
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #5
(User ID: Everskyward)
Touchdown! Greaser!
Pilots Of America Management

Very sorry to hear about your friends, Ric.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #6
(User ID: Ted DuPuis)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to Ted DuPuis

I'm so sorry, Ric... very sad.

Blue skies, tailwinds...

Plus Belize
http://www.cloudninerescueflights.org/
Ted DuPuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #7
(User ID: tonycondon)
Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)

Send a message via AIM to tonycondon Send a message via MSN to tonycondon

oh man, sorry to hear that ric
http://www.letsgogliding.com
tonycondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

I too am so sorry that you've lost more good friends to accidents. You may remember that I was one of John's local friends here in Minneapolis and still miss him. You have my deepest sympathy.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #9
(User ID: SkyHog)
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Re: Fair Winds and Clear Skies, My Friends......

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomtnflyer View Post
Many of you might be aware that I found PoA due to the loss of a dear friend and fellow ski instr/PSIA examiner, John Lancaster (FlingWing), when his helicopter crashed in the GoM.

I was devastated to find out this morning that this crash was two more of my ski instr friends. Larry Berg and his wife Vicki Garves-Berg were both ski instrs and Examiners with the Central Division of PSIA.

Vicki was also a part time instr with me here in Vail. We spent many hrs talking flying in the locker room and over a few beers. Just this past Xmas holiday, Vicki and Larry were telling me that they had sold their previous aircraft and were so excited about taking delivery of an SR-20. They had only taken delivery of their SR-20 a few weeks ago.

Long-time Alpine Education Staff examiners Vicki Garves-Berg and Larry Berg perished when their private plane crashed in western Wisconsin on Friday, January 30, at shortly after 9:40 p.m. Cause of the fatal tragedy is not known as of Monday morning.
Larry and Vicki both served as Central Division examiners for many years, provided clinic leadership for PSIA events, and delivered clinic and technical leadership for several snowsports schools in Wisconsin and Minnesota. In recent years Vicki was a leader in rejuvenating and expanding Central Division's "Train the Trainer" accreditation program. Both Vicki and Larry served on the Alpine Education and Certification Committee. Vicki also was an instructor for Vail.
Larry and Vicki took delivery of their Cirrus SR20 several weeks ago, with the engine completely rebuilt by the manufacturer. News media reported that Larry was "an experienced pilot", and had filed a routine instrument flight plan from Sheboygan, Wisconsin to their home base in New Richmond, Wisconsin. When their plane disappeared from radar screens their assigned flight level was 4,000 feet. Local witnesses, who feared the aircraft might hit a nearby home, reported that they saw plane lights but did not hear any motor noise. Reports from the scene describe a wooded area, flames, and debris strewn over an area roughly 150 feet wide and 400 feet long in Dunn County, north of Menomonie, Wisconsin.
A third passenger, 44 year old Brett Weller, from Hudson, Wisconsin, apparently rode along with Larry to Sheboygan. There they picked up Vicki. Larry often flew Vicki to and from her anesthetist service provided to hospitals throughout Wisconsin.
This tragic loss of Vicki and Larry is painful for hundreds of friends and colleagues in the community of snowsports instructors. PSIA/AASI Central extends condolences to Vicki and Larry's families and friends. "The Bergs" will be missed.

I'm so sorry Ric.
SkyHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

I was attempting to obtain an analysis Skew-T plot for the area and time of the crash but I learned from Scott Dennstaedt (ScottD) that NOAA has quit archiving that data. In that conversation he also indicated that the accident may be ice related and that he's looking into that aspect of the incident with some potential that he'll publish what he learns. He did hint that ice might have indeed been a factor, possibly even SLD which can overwhelm even a FIKI airplane. So far all I could piece together is that the local weather was 900-1300 ft ceilings with good visibility (10nm) underneath and tops around 5000ft reported 60 miles west. Looking at the Flightaware track I see that the airplane changed altitudes a couple times during the flight which might indicate that they were attempting to stay out of clouds and icing. The track dropped off the radar soon after reaching 4000 ft. Keep in mind that this could be due to poor radar coverage in that area (I often get lost on radar a little further east below 6000 MSL) but I think the accident location is pretty close to where the radar lost track. AFaIK SR-20s don't have the TKS anti-ice the SR-22s come with, anyone know if that's true?
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #11
(User ID: t0r0nad0)
Pattern Altitude

Send a message via AIM to t0r0nad0 Send a message via MSN to t0r0nad0 Send a message via Yahoo to t0r0nad0 Send a message via Skype™ to t0r0nad0

Ric, I'm sorry for your loss.

PP-ASEL 8/15/2007
AGI 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Rep

My Blog: http://commons.chron.com/pilotpj/blog

States in which I have landed an airplane:

Please note that all posts I make represent my opinion alone and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the various organizations I work with or represent. I am not a lawyer, so any regulatory interpretations I make are merely educated guesses based on a reading of the regulations, and are subject to review or correction.
t0r0nad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #12
(User ID: gprellwitz)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Ric, I too am sorry for your loss. That just sucks.
Scott, I'm definitely going to have to sit down and look at this more carefully when I have some time.
Lifeline Pilot volunteer pilot
gprellwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #13
(User ID: steingar)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Condolences for your loss.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14
(User ID: bbchien)
Final Approach

Hardly credible that "negative", givent the temp=dewpoint and the much lower slope than wet adaibatic air.....and capping at ~7000 feet.
bbchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #15
(User ID: flyingcheesehead)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Yahoo to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Skype™ to flyingcheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
What's the BRS look like at night when activated? I could imagine that looking like a "big shooting star"
Apparently not...

Quote:
The Cirrus Airframe Parachute System (CAPS) parachute was found deployed in the wreckage path about 120 feet from the initial point of impact. The red colored CAPS activation handle, handle holder, and activation cable were found separated from the fuselage. The CAPS safety pin with the red colored "Remove Before Flight" tag was found in the activation handle still in the handle holder. According to the Cirrus Pilot's Operating Handbook, the preflight checklist calls for the CAPS safety pin to be removed prior to flight.
So, the chute wasn't pulled. Sounds like it may have cooked off though.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
The air traffic controller (ATC) asked the pilot if he was encountering any icing and the pilot replied, "negative."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20090131X81912&key=1
The URL under your link is bogus, the display link text (below) works OK.

www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20090131X81912&key=1

And in the NTSB prelim, it's hard to tell when the pilot reported negative to ice. It could easily be that the report came before he got low enough to be in the clouds.

Last edited by gismo; February 5th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
gismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #17
(User ID: SteveinIndy)
Position and Hold

Send a message via AIM to SteveinIndy
Re: Fair Winds and Clear Skies, My Friends......

Quote:
Originally Posted by colomtnflyer View Post

My condolences as well....
SteveinIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following