Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Maintenance Bay

Maintenance Bay Looking for a good mechanic? Got a question about changing a landing light or installing a new radio? Any mechanical questions you've got, someone here probably has an answer for you!

Old December 7th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
(User ID: jlwilson)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades

Does anyone know if there are still any kind of rebates or specials on WAAS upgrades for the Garmin 430? I know I should have upgraded last year, but I was a new pilot with a new plane and didn't realize the value I was missing

Thanks,

Joyce

Joyce Wilson
PP - ASEL, IA, HP
4O4
jlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Posted in reply to jlwilson's post "Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: wabower)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades

You want white or wheat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilson View Post
Does anyone know if there are still any kind of rebates or specials on WAAS upgrades for the Garmin 430? I know I should have upgraded last year, but I was a new pilot with a new plane and didn't realize the value I was missing

Thanks,

Joyce
wabower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
(User ID: Ron Levy)
Taxi to Parking

Garmin found itself in a deep hole with the original $1500 upgrade cost when the certification took years longer than planned, and they found they needed to replace circuit boards as well as software. However, they stuck with the original price for those who ordered it before they realized how much it would really cost. I believe they took a considerable financial bath on those $1500 upgrades. The fact that the price doubled after the cutoff date tells us something about that. I would not hold my breath waiting for Garmin to offer any future deals or rebates on 400/500 WAAS upgrades unless/until the GNS 630/730 comes out and they find there's a whole bunch of 430/530 circuit boards and antennas in their warehouse they want to get rid of -- and I haven't seen even the slightest hint of a 630/730 in the works.
Ron Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
(User ID: jlwilson)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Bummer, that's what I was afraid of. I'm sure with the economy as it is, they're probably not planning anything big at the moment. I guess I'll just have to put a new 530 on my Christmas hint list :smile:.

Thanks for the information!

Joyce

Joyce Wilson
PP - ASEL, IA, HP
4O4
jlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
(User ID: Lance F)
Pattern Altitude

Send a message via AIM to Lance F Send a message via Skype™ to Lance F

And I'm wondering if the new software release 3.20 due out this month will be done as warranty or under the $crew the customer plan. For one thing it's supposed to fix the problem that won't show LPV or LNAV/VNAV vertical guidance for airports with 3 character designators (like mine). Who knows what other bugs are in there waiting to be fixed.
Gold Badge #1489 with 2 Diamond Legs
ATP/PIC Type LRJET; SIC Type DA20 & HS-125
Lance F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Posted in reply to Lance F's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: Steve)
En-Route

Lance, this may sound like a dumb question, but do you know if the local shop can install this latest software update or will it require sending it back to Garmin? It would be nice if this was something I could wait on instead of leaving it.

I've become a familiar face around the avionics shop I use with Aspen unit "fixes" since July. Their first "software" update required the unit to be shipped back to the factory. But it's working great now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance F View Post
And I'm wondering if the new software release 3.20 due out this month will be done as warranty or under the $crew the customer plan. For one thing it's supposed to fix the problem that won't show LPV or LNAV/VNAV vertical guidance for airports with 3 character designators (like mine). Who knows what other bugs are in there waiting to be fixed.

States I've landed upon

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.” — Confucius
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Posted in reply to Lance F's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: gismo)
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance F View Post
If I had to bet, I'd go with the "free upgrade" option. Typically releases that only increase the "fractional" part of the version (e.g. 3.1 vs 3.2) are mostly bug fixes not feature enhancements and don't get charged for. AFaIK this has been Garmin's policy in the past.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Posted in reply to Steve's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: mantakos)
Final Approach

Quote:
Lance, this may sound like a dumb question, but do you know if the local shop can install this latest software update or will it require sending it back to Garmin? It would be nice if this was something I could wait on instead of leaving it.
As I understand it, a routine garmin software update is just loaded in via flash card. This should be a quick "out-patient" procedure.

The waas upgrade involved hardware changes, and required shipping back to Garmin.
-harry
mantakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Posted in reply to mantakos's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantakos View Post
As I understand it, a routine garmin software update is just loaded in via flash card. This should be a quick "out-patient" procedure.

The waas upgrade involved hardware changes, and required shipping back to Garmin.
-harry
Sounds like a local operation to me. I doubt that the unit will need to go back to Garmin unless there's a need to add internal memory.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:43 AM
(User ID: flyingcheesehead)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Yahoo to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Skype™ to flyingcheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilson View Post
IIRC it's $3000 now instead of $1500, and the installation will run you another $1500 or so (new antennas, wiring, etc.) but it's worth every penny.
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Taxi to Parking

Garmin told me a few days ago that the software update is a "while you wait" procedure.
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Posted in reply to Ron Levy's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: waldo)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Ok, Stupid question of the day here: Other than a small increase in accuracy, what does the WASS upgrade do for the 430?

waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Posted in reply to waldo's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Ok, Stupid question of the day here: Other than a small increase in accuracy, what does the WASS upgrade do for the 430?
You mean besides giving you:

"Sole source" navigation (the ability to use GPS without working, tested VORs on the ground and in the airplane.

The ability to fly LPV approaches which now outnumber ILS approaches and provide pretty much the same minimums and a much more accurate path.

The use of filed alternates that don't have any approaches you can fly except GPS.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM
(User ID: SCCutler)
Administrator
PoA Test PilotPilots Of America Management

Send a message via AIM to SCCutler

Much faster updating and more responsive menus.

Terrain alerting.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Posted in reply to gismo's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Yahoo to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Skype™ to flyingcheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancefisher View Post
You mean besides giving you:

"Sole source" navigation (the ability to use GPS without working, tested VORs on the ground and in the airplane.

The ability to fly LPV approaches which now outnumber ILS approaches and provide pretty much the same minimums and a much more accurate path.

The use of filed alternates that don't have any approaches you can fly except GPS.
And a lot more, too...

* A glideslope to the ground at any airport with a GPS approach - Really handy when your engine starts coughing and the clouds are below minimums. This is true of ANY GPS approach, not just the LPV ones. (The "ILS-to-the-ground" scenario becomes "ILS or GPS to the ground".)

* If you have it coupled to the autopilot to provide roll steering commands, the 430W can now fly procedure turns and holds for you.

* Faster processor, so you're not limited to a 1Hz update rate

EDIT: Almost as soon as I posted this, I remembered another one - Parallel tracking. For example, you can punch in a course, and fly a mile to the right of that course. Handy if you're going to Brazil any time soon.

And I'm sure between Lance, Spike and I we have not covered it all. Before we did the upgrade, I was somewhat blase about it - Woo woo, LPV approaches, right? After the upgrade when I discovered all of the new capabilities, I was quite impressed, and I think the upgrade was well worth it.

Last edited by flyingcheesehead; December 14th, 2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added info
flyingcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #16
(User ID: jmaynard)
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcheesehead View Post
* If you have it coupled to the autopilot to provide roll steering commands, the 430W can now fly procedure turns and holds for you.
...and if your autopilot will do GPS vertical navigation, the 430W will drive that, too. The non-WAAS 430 will not.

I've flown here...
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
(User ID: jason)
Administrator
Pilots Of America Management

Is it possible to tell the difference between the 430 and the 430W by looking at the faceplate?

Whilst trolling ads, all are labeled GNS430. The W is a big difference. I don't understand why people don't differentiate in their ads.

- Jason
jason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Posted in reply to jason's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: CT Arrow)
Line Up and Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNE View Post
Is it possible to tell the difference between the 430 and the 430W by looking at the faceplate?

Whilst trolling ads, all are labeled GNS430. The W is a big difference. I don't understand why people don't differentiate in their ads.
Sadly, no. The exterior look is the same. The only way is to power the unit up and note the new welcome / info. page. I would guess that the majority of boxes out there are non-waas. Glad I did the upgrade!
CT Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Posted in reply to CT Arrow's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: jason)
Administrator
Pilots Of America Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Arrow View Post
Sadly, no. The exterior look is the same. The only way is to power the unit up and note the new welcome / info. page. I would guess that the majority of boxes out there are non-waas. Glad I did the upgrade!
Hmm. That sucks.

How much is the upgrade? Ron said $3000, but I believe that is only the Garmin nut, correct? How much to actually install it in, say, a 172?

How much to get a new one installed if you find the right price?

- Jason
jason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
(User ID: SCCutler)
Administrator
PoA Test PilotPilots Of America Management

Send a message via AIM to SCCutler

Quote:
Hmm. That sucks.

How much is the upgrade? Ron said $3000, but I believe that is only the Garmin nut, correct? How much to actually install it in, say, a 172?

Mine ended up costing about $4,200.00, but that was with the Garmin promo ($1,500.00 instead of $3,000.00).

"Increasers" include the new coax (many earlier installs had non-compliant coax cable installed), purchase and installation of a remote annunciator (Bonanza radio stack too far to the right for the 430's on-screen annunciation to be considered "in the scan").

YMMV, but I'd budget something like four grand. Talk to your shop first, to get an idea.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Hmm. That sucks.

The upgrade comes with a new antenna in most cases and that's the majority of the local work. Depending on access that could take 15 minutes or a few hours at shop rates and AFaIK isn't included in the current upgrade price.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Posted in reply to gismo's post "Re: Garmin 430 WAAS upgrades"
(User ID: kgruber)
Pattern Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gismo View Post
The upgrade comes with a new antenna in most cases and that's the majority of the local work. Depending on access that could take 15 minutes or a few hours at shop rates and AFaIK isn't included in the current upgrade price.
The antenna is easy. The coax, in most cases has to be changed out. That, is th big local expense.
kgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:

I don't get that either, but I have seen some people advertising the "W". I think it's fairly safe to assume that if they don't specifically say it's a W, that it isn't. They are, after all, trying to sell their airplane!

Quote:
Installation, probably $1500 or so, maybe $2000 unless you have to do something "special" like add the annunciator as Spike mentioned.

Quote:
IIRC it'd be about $12K-$14K including the box, OBS, etc...
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #24
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcheesehead View Post
I don't get that either, but I have seen some people advertising the "W". I think it's fairly safe to assume that if they don't specifically say it's a W, that it isn't.
Of course, phone calls are cheap and emails are free.
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
(User ID: CT Arrow)
Line Up and Wait

Quote:
Hmm. That sucks.

Jason, all of the responses are on track! Your best bet is to chat w/ a few of your local Avionic shops and let them see & quote your aircraft. Then you will know how much it's going to hurt $$$$

But, you will love it!
CT Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Maintenance Bay