Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following

Flight Following Got a general question to ask or aviation topic to discuss? Establish contact here!

Old September 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1
(User ID: Rob Schaffer)
Cleared for Takeoff

DUAT or DUATS,.... usage tips requested.

Well, as a student I didn't have access to the DUAT(s) system as my medical certificate was on file but not my student certificate. I sent in my information, but due to the pace of my training and the delay on their end, I didn't get in the system in time to use during my training.

So, here I am now as a PP, and I have access to DUATS. What is the difference, if any, between DUAT and DUATS access websites?

Any tips on using DUATS? I'm still exploring a little bit with the interface and I just downloaded the AOPA Real-Time Flight Planner as well.
Tailweel Endorsement => May 2010
Spin Training => June 2010
Rob Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #2
KennyFlys

Re: DUAT or DUATS,.... usage tips requested.

I prefer DTC DUAT but because it worked better for me at slower bandwidth on aircards while mobil. It also works on my PDA.

The latter may be on DUATS by now, I don't know.
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Posted in reply to KennyFlys's post "Re: DUAT or DUATS,.... usage tips..."
(User ID: flyersfan31)
Touchdown! Greaser!

I've used both, and prefer DUATS, but that may be because I started with it, so I'm more used to it. User interfaces on both leave something to be desired. Frankly, DUAT may be more user friendly but, as I say, I kinda stick with what I know. At the end of the day, they both have the same information, it's just a matter of presentation.

States I have flown to:
flyersfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
(User ID: AWACSEng)
Position and Hold

Download the Golden Eagle software. It uses DUATS for the Wx source. There is a link at the bottom of the DUATS homepage to download this program. Best FREE online flight planner, IMHO.
AWACSEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #5
(User ID: kevin47881)
Final Approach

Send a message via MSN to kevin47881

The AOPA rag has an insert each month with DUATS tips. I use to save them, I'll try to remember to look this weekend.
"This whole TSA crap has gone way too far. That is an organization that has way too much power and way too little oversight. And as far as I am concerned, contributes very little to the safety of the system."
-Greg Bockelman 1/1/08

"You can't fix stupid"
-Ron White

kevin47881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #6
(User ID: mikea)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via Skype™ to mikea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schaffer View Post
Well, as a student I didn't have access to the DUAT(s) system as my medical certificate was on file but not my student certificate. I sent in my information, but due to the pace of my training and the delay on their end, I didn't get in the system in time to use during my training.
Really? I got my DUAT access as a student, with the student certificate number, but that was pre-9/11 and any pointless new security rules. I don't think DUAT has by PPL certificate number to this day.

I can't imagine the feds were fearful that the terrists might read NOTAMS and METARS but my imagination in that regard isn't too good.

They obviously had some miscreants hacking or DOSing the site which is why they have the warning now that it's federal site for official use only. I would more likely imagine some maroons thought it would be cool to automating using DUAT as a source of whatever data for their web site.
PP ASEL - Cherokee 235
Chicago
Always giving a free airplane ride to 400 pounds of unused fuel.

"The bell curve has a left edge, and people really live there."
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #7
(User ID: flyingcheesehead)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Yahoo to flyingcheesehead Send a message via Skype™ to flyingcheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schaffer View Post
Well, as a student I didn't have access to the DUAT(s) system as my medical certificate was on file but not my student certificate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Really? I got my DUAT access as a student, with the student certificate number, but that was pre-9/11 and any pointless new security rules.
Read carefully, Mike... For some reason his student cert # didn't make it into the system.

Though isn't that the same as your medical? I think I got on DUATS as a student.

I think DUATS is a bit more text-heavy than DUAT, and frankly neither one of them works the way my brain does, so I've made up my own set of web pages I can pull up with a single click and I simply use DUATS if I'm going to file a flight plan online or want to get a quickie nav log or an idea of exactly how long the flight will take.
Old September 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #8
(User ID: gprellwitz)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcheesehead View Post
Read carefully, Mike... For some reason his student cert # didn't make it into the system.

Though isn't that the same as your medical? I think I got on DUATS as a student.
Normally it's the same, but if you were deferred by the AME, might they be different? In that case, you'd need to get the student certificate from the FSDO. I presume that Sport Pilots would have the same issue.
Lifeline Pilot volunteer pilot
gprellwitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprellwitz View Post
Normally it's the same, but if you were deferred by the AME, might they be different? In that case, you'd need to get the student certificate from the FSDO. I presume that Sport Pilots would have the same issue.
It's the other way 'round. Your first medical is your student certificate so there's only one number.

As far as I can think about it, the (first) student certificate without a medical buys you nuttin'. If you can't solo, what do you have?

Now, in my case I didn't finish before my first medical expired so I had two certificates, a second medical and the original student pilot certificate.
PP ASEL - Cherokee 235
Chicago

Old September 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #10
KennyFlys

Quote:
It's the other way 'round. Your first medical is your student certificate so there's only one number.

As far as I can think about it, the (first) student certificate without a medical buys you nuttin'. If you can't solo, what do you have?

Now, in my case I didn't finish before my first medical expired so I had two certificates, a second medical and the original student pilot certificate.
That should have been reversed. The Student Certificate is valid for 24 calendar months while the Third Class Medical Certificate is valid for 36 calendar months, provided you're not.... olllllddd! Then, it's valid for 24 calendar months.

There was a proposal or at least a suggestion further up the chain to make student certificates valid for 36 calendar months to coincide with the Medical Certificate. I don't know where that stands.
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFlys View Post
That should have been reversed. The Student Certificate is valid for 24 calendar months while the Third Class Medical Certificate is valid for 36 calendar months, provided you're not.... olllllddd! Then, it's valid for 24 calendar months.

There was a proposal or at least a suggestion further up the chain to make student certificates valid for 36 calendar months to coincide with the Medical Certificate. I don't know where that stands.
OK. How long is a special issuance medical valid? Buehler?
PP ASEL - Cherokee 235
Chicago

Old September 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:

But if you don't have a medical, you would need to get the student pilot certificate from the FSDO before you could get access to DUATS. Not saying that this is the case for the OP, just that it's a possible scenario.
Quote:
It depends on what OK city says. Sometimes a year, sometimes the normal period. It'll depend on what they perceive the risk to be. Kind of why it's called a special issuance, no?
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #13
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprellwitz View Post
But if you don't have a medical, you would need to get the student pilot certificate from the FSDO before you could get access to DUATS. Not saying that this is the case for the OP, just that it's a possible scenario.
If you have the medical, you have the student certificate. It's on the other side.

What I'm saying; you can solo with a medical (which you have to qualify for) + the student certificate (which is the price of filling out a form) + endorsement(s). You get nothing but a number with only the student.
PP ASEL - Cherokee 235
Chicago

Last edited by mikea; September 27th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Final Approach

Quote:
Oooh oooh, pick me, pick me. I've had 6 SI's the last 6 years. Let's see, that means it's good for...hhmmmm, someone do the math here.
"This whole TSA crap has gone way too far. That is an organization that has way too much power and way too little oversight. And as far as I am concerned, contributes very little to the safety of the system."
-Greg Bockelman 1/1/08

"You can't fix stupid"
-Ron White

Old September 27th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #15
(User ID: Rob Schaffer)
Cleared for Takeoff

First, thanks to those that posted. I've registered for DUATS and have been getting familiar with it.

As far as what happened, I don't know. I had a combination medical/student certificate, but when I entered the number it wouldn't come up. If you searched my name on the FAA registry, you would see that I held a medical certificate, but it didn't say anything about a student certificate. So, I followed the directions on the DUATs website about sending in copies of your information but by the time that was processed I already had my PP Certificate.

either way, now I have access so I'm looking to use it more for at home briefing and planning before I get to the airport and call the briefer.

I'll look into the Golden Eagle Planner,... the AOPA RTFP is pretty easy to use so far.

Thanks
Tailweel Endorsement => May 2010
Spin Training => June 2010
Rob Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #16
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
If you have the medical, you have the student certificate. It's on the other side.

What I'm saying; you can solo with a medical (which you have to qualify for) + the student certificate (which is the price of filling out a form) + endorsement(s). You get nothing but a number with only the student.
Mike, maybe we're talking at cross purposes. I was illustrating that it's possible to have a student pilot certificate issued before a medical. If you go in for your first medical and are deferred, or you opt not to go in because you are planning to fly sport pilot, you don't have a medical, with or without a student pilot certificate on the back. Therefore, to get that number, which you need in order to get on DUAT/S, you need to go to the FSDO. I don't think that the AME is going to issue a medical certificate, even if it says "not valid for any class", in order to give you the student pilot certificate. That's the function of the FSDO.

Looking back at Rob's initial post, he said the medical certificate was on file but not the student pilot certificate. My initial hypothesis about how that occurred involved getting them in the atypical manner I described. He didn't say who the medical was "on file" with, though, so I probably just misunderstood something and served to confuse the issue. Maybe Rob'll give us a few more details, not that it matters whatsoever. Enough of this thread hijack! Sorry!
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #17
(User ID: dmccormack)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to dmccormack

Golden Eagle Vs AOPA RTFP?

I've downloaded GE a few times now -- maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I didn't see any advantages over the free AOPA flight planner which I use almost exclusively for IFR flight planning.

Flight (and other stuff) Blog
dmccormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #18
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin47881 View Post
Oooh oooh, pick me, pick me. I've had 6 SI's the last 6 years. Let's see, that means it's good for...hhmmmm, someone do the math here.
Not 6 years without checking in every year.
PP ASEL - Cherokee 235
Chicago

Old September 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #19
KennyFlys

Quote:
Oops, sorry about that. It had been a while since I had read the earlier posts. Yep, SIs make it a pain to drop back to 12 calendar months.

I'm gonna have to deal with that on one my students and it wouldn't have to be that if the AME was worth a plumb nickel. Needless to say, that AME was dropped from our referral list. They were replaced with who may turn out to be our local version of Dr. Bruce.

Another student feared issues with blood pressure. His primary doc turned out to be a senior AME. The AME's response (paraphrased): "Don't worry about it. We'll get your blood pressure under control and you certified; without meds." He called Thursday to tell me he now holds a valid medical. Awesome!
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #20
Final Approach

Quote:
Not 6 years without checking in every year.
That is correct. That's why I thought I stated I've had 6 in the last 6 years. Now that I re-read the post, it wasn't as clear as it could have been.
-Greg Bockelman 1/1/08

"You can't fix stupid"
-Ron White

Last edited by kevin47881; September 27th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM
(User ID: Anthony)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Another vote for DUATS and Golden Eagle. I like the fact that I can graphically display the weather alon my route of flight and get full briefings through Golden Eagle also.
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #22
(User ID: dmccormack)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via AIM to dmccormack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Another vote for DUATS and Golden Eagle. I like the fact that I can graphically display the weather alon my route of flight and get full briefings through Golden Eagle also.
AOPA RTFP does that also...
Flight (and other stuff) Blog
dmccormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #23
(User ID: deafsound)
Position and Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Same here. I use it. I didn't like the AOPA flight planner when I last tried it a couple of years ago. Maybe it's gotten better over the years.

DW
deafsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #24
(User ID: mdreger)
Pre-takeoff checklist

I use DUATS Golden Eagle as well. Like someone else said, it may be mostly a habit. I've used their product for several years. Prior to high speed, the DUATS interface would work off line. You could put in your proposed route of flight, etc. and then download all the weather information. IIRC, DUAT could only be used on line and dial up didn't work very well. DUAT now has an interface similar to Golden Eagle, but habits are hard to break. It may be as good or better than Golden Eagle, just haven't tried it much yet.
mdreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #25
(User ID: ScottM)
Taxi to Parking
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACSEng View Post
Download the Golden Eagle software. It uses DUATS for the Wx source. There is a link at the bottom of the DUATS homepage to download this program. Best FREE online flight planner, IMHO.
I agree. It is much better than RTFP from AOPA and it works off line. Plus you can buy add ons if you so desire.
AOPA ASNV 10C (Galt: Greenwood, IL)

------------------------
See, some peckerwood's gotta get the thing up.
And some peckerwood's gotta land the son of a bitch.
And that "peckerwood" is called a "pilot".

States I have flown in
-----------------------

ScottM is online now   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Flight Following