Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise (but no spin zone material, see below).

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

NOTE: Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged must be posted in The Spin Zone. To gain access to the Spin Zone, click this link and join the Spin Zone group.

Old September 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
(User ID: wbarnhill)
Final Approach

Send a message via ICQ to wbarnhill Send a message via AIM to wbarnhill Send a message via MSN to wbarnhill
Failure to appear for jury duty. Bah.

The system has finally smacked me around. Today I got a jury summons dated July 31, 2007 for a court date on August 23, 2007. The address on the summons was incorrect, and since I have forwarding on my old address, it made it to me... albeit 2 months late.

For the record, both my drivers license and my voter registration card state my new address (and have since May), so I'm wondering where they got their information from.

Looks like I get to take personal time on Monday to sort this out.
wbarnhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #2
(User ID: Sleek-Jet)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Re: Failure to appear for jury duty. Bah.

I had the same thing happen, got the jury summons one week after the date.

I called the court house, told them what happened, and they rescheduled me for a later date.

Called the number the night before, and my jury pool had been called off.
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #3
(User ID: wbarnhill)
Final Approach

Send a message via ICQ to wbarnhill Send a message via AIM to wbarnhill Send a message via MSN to wbarnhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek-Jet View Post
I had the same thing happen, got the jury summons one week after the date.

I called the court house, told them what happened, and they rescheduled me for a later date.

Called the number the night before, and my jury pool had been called off.
I'm sure I'll just get rescheduled after I talk to someone, but that's nothing compared to 30 days or 1000$ fine. heh.
wbarnhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #4
(User ID: Obi Heed Kenobi)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnhill View Post
The system has finally smacked me around. Today I got a jury summons dated July 31, 2007 for a court date on August 23, 2007. The address on the summons was incorrect, and since I have forwarding on my old address, it made it to me... albeit 2 months late.

For the record, both my drivers license and my voter registration card state my new address (and have since May), so I'm wondering where they got their information from.

Looks like I get to take personal time on Monday to sort this out.
Depending on how nice your local jury commissioner is, it might just take a phone call. But it shouldn't take more than a letter.

In either case, DO NOT FAIL to ask the person to check to see if a bench warrant was issued and, if so, ask them to cancel it - you don't want to get pulled over for speeding one day and end up in shackles for something that has been resolved.

As far as where the information came from, jury pools are generally pulled from: 1) license info; 2) voter info; and 3) income tax info. So, have you told your employer about your change in address? Even if so, that change might not have made it through the state treasurer's office yet, so maybe that's what happenned.
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
(User ID: SCCutler)
Administrator
PoA Test PilotPilots Of America Management

Send a message via AIM to SCCutler

Bet a phone call, and a good attitude, will solve the problem.

And good on ya' for not trying to duck jury service- the jury system works amazingly well, but requires reasonable participation to be truly effective.
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #6
(User ID: gprellwitz)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Heck, I'm still waiting to actually make it on a jury! I've only been scheduled to appear twice, and wasn't picked either time. I actually WANT to serve! (As long as it's not a long, protracted circus like the OJ trial!)
Lifeline Pilot volunteer pilot
gprellwitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #7
(User ID: ScottM)
Taxi to Parking
PoA Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprellwitz View Post
Heck, I'm still waiting to actually make it on a jury! I've only been scheduled to appear twice, and wasn't picked either time. I actually WANT to serve! (As long as it's not a long, protracted circus like the OJ trial!)
Me too! I think that serving on a jury is an excellent way to serve one's country. Since very few of us actually serve in the military and even fewer serve in an elected office this is one way in which all citizens can help their country.

William, it will hopefully not be a big deal. When I moved to where I am now from Cook County I got a summons a couple of weeks later from Cook county for jury duty. I called and told them I no longer lived in the county and was now in McHenry county. They wanted me to submit an affidavit of residence along with copies of utility bills. I just decided it was easier to show up at court. I did and when they called me up asked if the address on the summons was correct. I told them 'no' and gave them my new address.

They then proceeded to tell me that I cannot serve on a jury in Cook county if I no longer lived in Cook county and that I was excused. BTW they never even asked to see my driver's license to prove where I did live. Go figure.
AOPA ASNV 10C (Galt: Greenwood, IL)

------------------------
See, some peckerwood's gotta get the thing up.
And some peckerwood's gotta land the son of a bitch.
And that "peckerwood" is called a "pilot".

States I have flown in
-----------------------

ScottM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #8
(User ID: Anymouse)
Line Up and Wait

Location: Pretty much homeless. Spending most of my time in Africa now.

Most will think I'm weird, but I've always wanted to do jury duty at least once. Well my chance finally came up. Unfortunately I had to call from Afghanistan to tell them I probably wouldn't make it. And, oh, I pretty much wouldn't be returning to the state anytime soon.

BTW... Alaska gets their jury pool from the Permanent Fund applications. If you want the "free" money, you gotta earn it as a citizen.

Andy

Opinions expressed are those of my Slave Master
Anymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #9
(User ID: Paul Allen)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprellwitz View Post
I've been picked twice and was eliminated both times by the defense lawyer. I followed both trials and both were convicted.

Six years ago I was picked to serve on the county grand jury for thirteen weeks. It was on Tuesday every week for thirteen weeks. In fact that was where I was on 9/11/2001 at 8:45 AM. In Ohio the county grand jury hears all felony cases and determines if it should go to trial. It was quite an education and I learned about crimes in the county that I never dreamed could happen. The worst cases were the child abuse cases and they really got your blood boiling.
Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #10
(User ID: Pilawt)
Pattern Altitude

Funny that this thread should come up today. I just now went out to the mailbox and found that my jury summons arrived today.

I'm a trial attorney and know most of the lawyers in this county, so my chances of actually being seated on a jury are slim at best. Too bad; I'd really like to participate and see the dynamic of the deliberation process at work.

Pilawt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #11
(User ID: Graueradler)
Cleared for Takeoff

I have had jury duty so many times that I don't remember how many but my wife has never been called. If I get called again, I think I'll plead extenuating circumstances or something. It has been interesting. Sometimes, it is difficult to believe that the 12 people deliberating in the jury room listened to the same proceedings. I frequently get eliminated when the lawyers find out that I have opinions and seem to be able to think but I have sat on several juries.
Graueradler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
Funny that this thread should come up today. I just now went out to the mailbox and found that my jury summons arrived today.

I'm a trial attorney and know most of the lawyers in this county, so my chances of actually being seated on a jury are slim at best. Too bad; I'd really like to participate and see the dynamic of the deliberation process at work.
Somewhat interestingly, in Colorado being a lawyer, without more, is not enough to strike for cause. For that matter, most professions, without more than the profession itself, are not enough to strike for cause.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #13
(User ID: AWACSEng)
Line Up and Wait

Ah, one of the bennefits of being AD military and keeping my home state of residence. I have been summoned several times in the past 7 years, and due to my service out of state, did not have to do it. My wife is also not a U.S. citizen so she has been excused the 2 times she has been summoned.
AWACSEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #14
(User ID: Sleek-Jet)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACSEng View Post
Ah, one of the bennefits of being AD military and keeping my home state of residence. I have been summoned several times in the past 7 years, and due to my service out of state, did not have to do it. My wife is also not a U.S. citizen so she has been excused the 2 times she has been summoned.
I actually wouldn't mind serving... but the logistics of it **** me off...

The biggest problem, there is absulutely no parking down around the court complex here in Pima County... none. So you either have to pay out the nose for one of the parking garages 6 blocks from the court house, or take a cab. If you pay for parking it's for the day, so if you get excused, to bad... The county does pay some milage, but not enough to cover the 40 mile round trip, and the parking...

Not to mention that if you don't get picked... you have to go back to work for the rest of the day...
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Line Up and Wait

Not to mention the killer (no pun intended) $6/day per diem.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #16
(User ID: docmirror)
Final Approach

None of you will never, ever be picked for an actual jury. I can tell by the punctuation, style and grammer that everyone here(except me) has more than a 67 IQ. That is grounds for disqualification by one side or the other.
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Line Up and Wait

Wow, didn't know a grammar test was required to accomplish ones civic duty. I guess texans are the best thing to happen to the English language since the Queen, huh?

Last edited by AWACSEng; September 28th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #18
(User ID: Andy Greever)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Exclamation Re: Failure to appear for jury duty. Bah.

The last time I was summoned for jury duty, it was a case where the boyfriend claimed his live in girlfriend shot herself twice. WITH A REVOLVER!

The defense attorney got rid of anyone (including me) with firearms experience.

I've been called in at least 5 times, and never gotten on a jury.

www.SailingAnarchy.com
Andy Greever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #19
(User ID: Anymouse)
Line Up and Wait

Location: Pretty much homeless. Spending most of my time in Africa now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
None of you will never, ever be picked for an actual jury. I can tell by the punctuation, style and grammar that everyone here(except me) has more than a 67 IQ. That is grounds for disqualification by one side or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACSEng View Post
Wow, didn't know a grammar test was required to accomplish ones civic duty. I guess texans are the best thing to happen to the English language since the Queen, huh?
Read again.

Based on what I've seen some juries award on lawsuits, I believe it to be the absolute truth!!

(Oh, and Doc, I've fixed the word "grammar" for you. )

Andy

Opinions expressed are those of my Slave Master
Anymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
None of you will never, ever be picked for an actual jury. I can tell by the punctuation, style and grammer that everyone here(except me) has more than a 67 IQ. That is grounds for disqualification by one side or the other.
Of the juries I've been involved with, one had a doctor, one had two doctors, another had a pilot, another had two pilots (one of whom was a doctor), another had a lawyer, several had engineers. There have been a few teachers, one PhD, one biologist, and a few other professionals.

There have been plumbers, electricians, retired soldiers, watermen, and miners.

Heck, a guy who was homeless showed up for jury duty every time his pool was called. We still haven't figured out how he got the notice, because he had neither mailbox nor phone.

I suppose the other members were gullible dummies, though. That doesn't follow either, because I've never seen a deadlocked jury.

So while thinking juries are composed of those of us who are easily led (supposedly astray from the shining path of justice by slimy attorneys), the reality isn't so simple. The purpose of a jury is to provide an unbiased cross-section of the community, and so far, based on my own experiences, it works pretty well at doing that.

That's not to say that juries can't get confused. That's not to say lawyers don't try and pick those jurors most sympathetic to their causes. That's not to say that issues aren't intentionally clouded. I've seen all of that first-hand, as well. But it's simply not accurate to say that juries are composed of dummies. They UNIFORMLY have done their respective bests to reach the right result.

If anyone truly believes that jurors are idiots, when you're a criminal defendant, be sure to do the following: 1) let the members of the jury know how you feel about them; and 2) perhaps pause to remember that the jury has a pair of scissors and is eying the thin thread that is your life.

Item #2 is worth thinking about the next time there's a jury summons in the mailbox.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #21
(User ID: ausrere)
Pattern Altitude

Send a message via Yahoo to ausrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Heed Kenobi View Post
Somewhat interestingly, in Colorado being a lawyer, without more, is not enough to strike for cause. For that matter, most professions, without more than the profession itself, are not enough to strike for cause.
I've always wanted to serve on one. But in five times being called for jury duty..the minute they find out my law enforcement backrground..I'm history. Too bad, I really would like to serve on one, at least once.

Due to recent budget cuts, and the rising cost of electricity the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Avatar courtesy of Jeff Bucchino, "The Wizard of Draws"
ausrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #22
(User ID: kevin47881)
Final Approach

Send a message via MSN to kevin47881

I've been served several times and was "approved" only once. Unfortunately, after 2 full days of testimony, as we were begging to deliberate the parties reached a settlement.

Oh well, maybe next time.
"This whole TSA crap has gone way too far. That is an organization that has way too much power and way too little oversight. And as far as I am concerned, contributes very little to the safety of the system."
-Greg Bockelman 1/1/08

"You can't fix stupid"
-Ron White

kevin47881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #23
(User ID: Speed)
Pre-takeoff checklist

I don't like it here because I'm a mile on the wrong side of the county line... so the courthouse I report to is a 45minute drive away! Annoying when the Aurora Co courthouse is 10 minutes away.

The one time I've been called I got dismissed for having LEO training. All LEO's were asked to identify themselves and promptly excused.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #24
(User ID: alaskaflyer)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Heed Kenobi View Post
In Wyoming being law enforcement is an automatic release. Since I lived in Teton County but lived in a portion of Yellowstone that made it almost impossible to get to the county seat without an multi-hour drive (in the winter) I didn't mind this too much. Since then I've never even been mailed a notice from a county or state I've resided in. Guess I've been moving too much.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; September 29th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #25
(User ID: jshawley)
Pre-takeoff checklist

I may have related this once before.

Several years back, I was in the pool, and during voir dire I watched, not the young adults, but the older baby boomers display an uncanny knack for getting out of JD. Case was a DUI, with no blood test, nor (IIRC) a breathalyzer test. Of course, in MO, the suspect is allowed to refuse; he does have to relinquish his DL on the spot.

So, DA asks, "if I don't have a breath/blood test, would you still be able to convict on other evidence and testimony?" An example of pool responses: "Nope; if ya ain't got no proof, ya ain't got no case. Gotta test 'im." Dismissed.

Defense asks: "My client does not want to get up and testify. You got a problem with that?" Response: "A man oughtta stand up an' speak fer hisself. Ain't gonna speak, he's gotta praughblum." Dismissed.

Apparently the MO driver's manual no longer explains the refusal loophole. Apparently the fifth amendment was not taught those yahoos.

I was not a little annoyed. So was the judge who, after calling the pool in again, explained, in no uncertain terms some of the higher nuances of the law, then declared a mis-trial (there weren't even twelve left, much less enough for alternates!).

As our own good Doctor would say, "Sigh".

Jim
jshawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk