Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics

Medical Topics Got a question about a medical issue? You may ask here anonymously (log out to do so) and ensure that only you know who posted the message.

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Posted in reply to Unregistered's post "Re: FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: Anymouse)
Position and Hold

Location: Pretty much homeless. Spending most of my time in Africa now.
Re: FAA approved drug...Lithium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What makes you think people taking "Lithium" cannot operate as normal? What's normal anyway? I'm sure some of you drink way to much and are mean to your wifes or gay partners....
There's a huge difference from someone taking 1200mg to the 150mg I take. I did not lie nor distort the facts about my flying past. I'm willing to bet I get more flying time in per week then 90% of you clowns, so I know I'm current and safe.

I did my research before asking this board about 'LI' I have the link to the FAA drug database, I already knew it was not an approved drug. But I wanted to see your reaction, the clown pilot who said something about killing a yard full of school children, dude that's a huge leap don't you think? You want to imply I can not fully control the aircraft....WHAT?
If you were standing next to me you would not know the difference, and I'll bet you would fly with me no question ask! Yeah yeah you can come up with some bull about I don't fly with strangers...sure sure! Make it up as you go.

What I'm seeing here you people have an distorted view no facts not knowing jack about Lithium, I'll bet before me asking and you go Googling you had no ideal, other then the horror stories from the 50ies Zombie era.

I don;t need a piece of paper to tell me if I'm health enought to control the aircraft in a safe mannor.
That rant sounds SO familiar!

Andy

Opinions expressed are those of my Slave Master
Anymouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
(User ID: Cap'n Jack)
En-Route

Quote:
What makes you think people taking "Lithium" cannot operate as normal? What's normal anyway?
Probably research into the underlying conditions and side effects.

Quote:
I did my research before asking this board about 'LI' I have the link to the FAA drug database, <snip.
The element is abbraviated "Li"

Quote:
What I'm seeing here you people have an distorted view no facts not knowing jack about Lithium, I'll bet before me asking and you go Googling you had no ideal, other then the horror stories from the 50ies Zombie era.
Dr. Bruce and Steingar have a very good handle on the current research. I'm sorry you don't like their responses, but that really doesn't change anything. They certainly know the facts as current research understand them. Please don't insult their knowledge or intellegence because you don't like the answer they gave.

Quote:
I don;t need a piece of paper to tell me if I'm health enought to control the aircraft in a safe mannor.
And I hope you do control aircraft in a safe manner.
Cap'n Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:03 AM
(User ID: Henning)
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
What makes you think people taking "Lithium" cannot operate as normal? What's normal anyway? I'm sure some of you drink way to much and are mean to your wifes or gay partners....
There's a huge difference from someone taking 1200mg to the 150mg I take. I did not lie nor distort the facts about my flying past. I'm willing to bet I get more flying time in per week then 90% of you clowns, so I know I'm current and safe.
It's not anybody, people here believe YOU can't operate as 'normal' because you display all the signs of being the lunatic that the Lithium is prescribed for, whatever the cause of your mental deviation from the norm. As for 'what is normal', that's a good question; in this type of situation it's rated by the decisions and judgements you exhibit under certain conditions and gauging your thoughts and reactions in comparison to what the those under the middle of the curve would experience.

Regardless the drug again, the hostility you show here is a detrimental factor to the issuance of a medical. From your writings here in this thread, it would be easy for someone providing an evaluation to come to the conclusion that you are a risk for a psychotic snap and that when it happens you would likely seek a destructive outlet and if were in a plane at the time you would have too many options too predict; in other words, you're a bad risk.

You sir come across as a very bad risk; you will be stuck with LSA and Pt 103 Ultralights to fly for the rest of your life. One last time, it has nothing to do with the drugs, it has to do with YOU. YOU are nuts which is why the system considers you unsafe, not because of what you can or can't do at this momement, but rather for the unpredictability of what you may do 20 minutes from now. How you do on your meds doesn't matter either because mental patients are notorious for not taking their meds.

Just face it, you're not getting a medical taking Lithium at this point, the answer is 'No'. That you can't seem to accept that fact with some matter of aplomb shows further that you're nuts because you can't even see the rest of the world's concern. Embrace your insanity, accept it and learn to deal with it. THIS is how you earn privilege and respect when you have mental illness. Watch 'A Beautiful Mind' that shows the effort it takes to really succeed with mental illness. Now Professor Nash had schizophrenia and he managed a Nobel Prize, so perhaps you can manage your condition better in the future as well.

<-click for slideshow
caphenning.com

Last edited by Henning; May 6th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.
Henning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
(User ID: bbchien)
Final Approach

I rest my case. Why do I respond to clowns like this?
bbchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
(User ID: Ron Levy)
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
" Guilty" of what? Not being able to control the aircraft in a safe manner? I'm a Commercial rated pilot with over 2000+ hours, I have my own airstrip (hay field or gravel road).
20 years ago I was a lot worst I just had enough when I got in my forties so I went in.
So what I fly my M5-210c without a medical, the Rans I can fly without a medical so no harm there. Oh yeah I have over 600 hours of T/W time!
So please I see you have a closed mind!
I'll bet if I went in to renew my medical and I was not true-full on the app no one would be the wiser.
Based on your posts, I suspect any good AME would during the examination realize that all was not right with you. And merely controlling the plane is, while necessary, not sufficient to demonstrate that you can safely fly as a Sport Pilot. Other areas include judgement and aeronautical decision making, and your posts suggest yours might not be up to standards.
Ron Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #31
Unregistered

Chlorpromazine is used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Can you think of anything more dumb to say??
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Chlorpromazine is used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Can you think of anything more dumb to say??
Nope, that statement took the prize in this thread for dumb things to say, you're not just nuts, you're stupid too.

<-click for slideshow
caphenning.com

Old May 6th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #33
(User ID: AdamZ)
Touchdown! Greaser!
Pilots Of America Management

Send a message via Skype™ to AdamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbchien View Post
The SSRI protocol is for only one med at a time, and it must be one of the 4 named in the pathway.
Thanks Bruce, figured you be along in a bit to clear that up.

With reasonable men I will reason, with humane men I will plead, with tyrants I will show no mercy. Thomas Jefferson (carved on the Jefferson Memorial at the Tidal Basin)
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #34
(User ID: bartmc)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
Nope, that statement took the prize in this thread for dumb things to say, you're not just nuts, you're stupid too.
On the internet we state:

44 years old, commercial pilot, 2000+ hours, 600 T/W, Rans S2, M5-210C, has own strip, expired medical, military service, prescribed lithium...
And where do we file this under anti-authority, macho, invulnerability or all of the above? OP you might as well haves called up the FAA... you already wrote the SQL query for them, if they're interested... That is, if you're not just troll in'

If I were you, I'd be lobbying the mods to delete this thread ASAP.
bartmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
(User ID: fgcason)
En-Route

Quote:
You see, that's the actual problem here that the FAA has the real problem with. It's not the drug or the attitude or any of that other stuff that is commonly considered the problem. It's what the drug doesn't do when absent that's the problem.

The actual problem is this: The part of the software (brain) that determines if it's not operating properly is not operating properly and must be intentionally altered to allow it to know when it's having a problem. IOW, without the drug, the individual is unable to determine if they are screwed up and/or not dealing with reality correctly. Since the defective master caution panel in the brain says everything is ok, the person continues to operate like it is ok even when it's extremely blatantly not right in the real world. (Ever followed a failing artificial horizon that doesn't have a gyro failure flag while under the hood? Same thing)
It's not like the flu or some other straighforward physical plague like that. Icky stomach, puke repeatedly for hours, I'm sick therefore I need to sit at home or go to the doctor until I'm better. Mental problems that are not under control are like; icky stomach, puke repeatedly for hours and while puking your shoes up on other people, you're thinking you're perfectly healthy and the people that are complaining that you're puking on them are obviously crazy. (That's oversimplified however the concept is valid)

Add in that people on medications for mental problems tend to go off their meds because they don't think it's really necessary for whatever reason and they are unable to realize their perception of reality is not necessarily not real. It's a runaway negative reinforcement failure. The longer they're off the meds, the less likely they are to notice they are not functioning properly and need the meds..thus less likely to identify the problem..so they continue to not take the meds. They think everything is perfectly ok with them while in reality everyone else in the world is trying to stay back from the fruitcake that has gone screaming nuts bonkers. At least a drunk can put the beer down and look at their wrecked car the next day and realize they screwed up and shouldn't drink and drive. It doesn't work that way when the drug is used to keep you from crashing your car in the first place.

The FAA's job via medicals is not to be an ass or ground anyone. They are actually there for the better good of everyone across the board even if they are a flaming PITA sometimes. It's to make sure a pilot will not go bonkers and kill a bunch of innocent bystanders or themselves two hours later or a year from now. From their observations, lithium is typically used to control the problem of not being able to know there's a problem which is a big warning sign to them. It's then up to the individual and that individuals actually qualified doctors (not unqualified GP types) to prove that the lithium is not essential for the individuals ability to determine real reality even when they go off the drug for weeks at a time. Fail the reality check without the drug and the FAA will justifiably ground you.

And don't poop on Doc Bruce unless you are willing to take him on in front of the entire FAA medical board. He specializes in the hard to certify cases and he's been doing it for well over a decade that I know of. There are lost causes flying today because he walked them through the process and those individuals did what he asked them to do. Some succeeded, some didn't, it just depended on the situation however there are a lot of people flying today that wouldn't be if it wasn't for his help. If anyone can get you in the air on Li, he can, and if he can't, which he probably can't, you're most likely stuck on the ground if you're going to play by the established rules. If you want to change the rules, line up your ducks and gate crash OKC with repeatedly verifiable proof that they are wrong and you are right. Doc Bruce will do what he can to help anyone however he will only be useful to you if you are on his side of the battle and not shooting turds at him. If you don't like what he says or asks you to do, that's your problem, not his.
fgcason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #36
(User ID: mikeinbama)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Dude is a troll. Can't fly a kite is my guess.

Student 5.7 hours

States I have Flown in
mikeinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #37
(User ID: steingar)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbchien View Post
I rest my case. Why do I respond to clowns like this?
Agreed Bruce. I think he put up this thread to get confirmation of what he wanted to hear. Anything else, and oh, they must be wrong! He thinks he's the big expert, and won't listen to you, the best AME there is, or me, one of the best scientists on the board. He hasn't shown either of us one whit wrong about anything because, well, we aren't. I hope neither of us have to share the skies with this guy.

Don't know why I respond to these things either. Ego I guess. Sometimes I wish I could have that surgically removed.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #38
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Don't know why I respond to these things either. Ego I guess. Sometimes I wish I could have that surgically removed.
Ah, yes...
Quote:
"Or was it something deeper, Captain...something that made you unable to slip away? Was it ego, Captain?"

"We each have our reasons, Victor."
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #39
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Agreed Bruce. I think he put up this thread to get confirmation of what he wanted to hear. Anything else, and oh, they must be wrong! He thinks he's the big expert, and won't listen to you, the best AME there is, or me, one of the best scientists on the board. He hasn't shown either of us one whit wrong about anything because, well, we aren't. I hope neither of us have to share the skies with this guy.

No need, no need to even consider it a bad thing lol.

Personally I will give the OP one break if he checks in and gets off Lithium under supervision of someone new. It's not like shrinks aren't 80%ers too. Lithium if misprescribed will present these behaviors as well. It's not like the mental health industry is all that bloody competent.

<-click for slideshow
caphenning.com

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Posted in reply to Unregistered's post "FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: One Short)
Position and Hold

This guy doesn't drive a little red car, does he?
One Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #41
(User ID: AggieMike88)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Short View Post
FTW!
http://www.dentonautosalvage.com/images/DCAS_Logo3.jpg
AggieMike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Posted in reply to Unregistered's post "FAA approved drug...Lithium?"
(User ID: TMetzinger)
Final Approach

OK, when you see me in MY little red car, there will be no road rage or Li involved (except for the Li-ion battery in my phone).

The first myth of management is that it exists.
The first myth of communication is that it's occurred.
TMetzinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #43
Unregistered

I'm a woman not a man! Wow you people need more help then me!
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:21 PM
(User ID: Anymouse)
Position and Hold

Location: Pretty much homeless. Spending most of my time in Africa now.

Quote:
I'm a woman not a man!
That explains a lot. Makes MUCH more sense now!

Andy

Opinions expressed are those of my Slave Master
Anymouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #45
(User ID: DavidWhite)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
That explains a lot. Makes MUCH more sense now!
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM
(User ID: airbornejohnny)
Position and Hold

Given that you essentially crapped on people who would be in a position to help you out, and posted a rather drawn out rant (are you not embarrassed?) on here, I am curious how many hours do you have flying a broom? I'm guessing with your attitude problem it's over 20k...
airbornejohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Changes nothing on my part.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Short View Post
I just consider it part of the deal, keep my head on a swivel and trust in the 'big sky' theory parlayed with the 'internet attracts the anomaly' factor to keep me safe. one nice thing about operating low is not much traffic.

<-click for slideshow
caphenning.com

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM
(User ID: Everskyward)
Touchdown! Greaser!
Pilots Of America Management

Quote:
Are you "Captain's" friend?
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #50
(User ID: mikeinbama)
Pre-takeoff checklist

Edit of previous post: Chick is a troll, can't even fly a broom is my guess.

Student 5.7 hours

States I have Flown in
mikeinbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics