Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics

Medical Topics Got a question about a medical issue? You may ask here anonymously (log out to do so) and ensure that only you know who posted the message.

Old May 4th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #26
(User ID: kimberlyanne546)
Final Approach

Re: Don't extended wear your extended wear contacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilke View Post
Colored contacts are a tool of the devil.
But they make my eyes look prettier. Until the eyes are covered in goo.
kimberlyanne546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #27
(User ID: MDeitch1976)
Position and Hold

If it is on a woman's body, they will try to beautify it.
MDeitch1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #28
(User ID: denverpilot)
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via ICQ to denverpilot Send a message via AIM to denverpilot Send a message via Yahoo to denverpilot Send a message via Skype™ to denverpilot
I was going to try to argue that colored contacts cover up eyes and don't make them look any prettier.

But in a society where people are so obsessed with some fake sense of "beauty" (usually recessive genes) that they shoot up with bochellism... there's no making sane arguments.

Keep the unnecessary plastic cornea scratching devices out of your eyes, Kim. Seriously. Sheesh.

Sometimes I think the crack-heads are the intelligent ones. Sigh.
denverpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Posted in reply to denverpilot's post starting "I was going to try to argue that..."
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I was going to try to argue that colored contacts cover up eyes and don't make them look any prettier.

But in a society where people are so obsessed with some fake sense of "beauty" (usually recessive genes) that they shoot up with bochellism... there's no making sane arguments.

Keep the unnecessary plastic cornea scratching devices out of your eyes, Kim. Seriously. Sheesh.

Sometimes I think the crack-heads are the intelligent ones. Sigh.
Geez dude calm down. High heels hurt our feet, try to get us to stop wearing those!
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #30
Touchdown! Greaser!

Send a message via ICQ to denverpilot Send a message via AIM to denverpilot Send a message via Yahoo to denverpilot Send a message via Skype™ to denverpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyanne546 View Post
Geez dude calm down. High heels hurt our feet, try to get us to stop wearing those!
I know plenty of women who've sworn them off for all but the biggest occasions.

Plus if it's snowing here there isn't a pair in sight. Uggs are more common during Winter.

Here... This might help explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYGpelWYFx0
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Posted in reply to denverpilot's post starting "I know plenty of women who've sworn..."
(User ID: cpilotw)
Filing Flight Plan

I've always had issues wearing contacts but just suffered through the dryness that I felt when I wore them. I suffer from dry eyes but that could be due to my location (New Orleans) and our lovely climate combined with wearing contacts.

I was always told to

a) never wear your contacts while you sleep, regardless if they say you can;

b) give your eyes a break and wear glasses atleast one day per week.

I just tried Coopervision Biofinity and I must say, they are quite amazing. After trying Acuvue Oasis, Focus Night & Day, etc., my eyes are a little more forgiving with Biofinity. The only two reasons why I wear contacts are to have my peripheral vision and so I can wear any sunglasses that I want. I usually wear my contacts if I know I am going to be out in the sun, whether that be driving, flying, attempting to play golf, etc.

The main thing is to keep your eyes well-lubricated with rewetting drops (Systane, Blink, etc) throughout the time you're wearing the contacts and to BLINK!
cpilotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #32
(User ID: Everskyward)
Touchdown! Greaser!
Pilots Of America Management

Why are colored contacts any worse than regular ones? Does the pigment stop the contact from 'breathing' so to speak?
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #33
Touchdown! Greaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everskyward View Post
Why are colored contacts any worse than regular ones? Does the pigment stop the contact from 'breathing' so to speak?
I haven't seen any medical reason they'd be worse. Just to be clear, I consider "sticking something not medically necessary in your eye" the criteria.
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #34
(User ID: weilke)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everskyward View Post
Modern 'soft' contacts are highly permeable for oxygen and have a very smooth surface that doesn't create any scratches on the cornea.

Colored contacts were originally for theatrical use, to be put in for a couple of hours during a shoot and to be taken out afterwards. Professionally made and fitted theatrical contacts are not so much a problem. Often colored lenses of unknown origin are sold at beauty supply stores and even convenience stores. Their shape is often nonstandard and they cause nasty abrasions. More important than the lens itself with contacts is proper cleaning and storage. Frequently, wearers or those over the counter lenses did not get the right training on how to take care of them fostering growth of all kinds of nastiness (fungi and something called acantamoeba) in the contact lens cases. So its not so much the presence or absence of a pigment layer than it is the source of the lenses.
weilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #35
Final Approach

Quote:
Modern 'soft' contacts are highly permeable for oxygen and have a very smooth surface that doesn't create any scratches on the cornea.

Colored contacts were originally for theatrical use, to be put in for a couple of hours during a shoot and to be taken out afterwards. Professionally made and fitted theatrical contacts are not so much a problem. Often colored lenses of unknown origin are sold at beauty supply stores and even convenience stores. Their shape is often nonstandard and they cause nasty abrasions. More important than the lens itself with contacts is proper cleaning and storage. Frequently, wearers or those over the counter lenses did not get the right training on how to take care of them fostering growth of all kinds of nastiness (fungi and something called acantamoeba) in the contact lens cases. So its not so much the presence or absence of a pigment layer than it is the source of the lenses.
I got mine with a prescription (0 / 0), they were the same brand / type as the modern ones, same price. I didn't think they were for temporary wear and in fact they make them for everyday use.
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #36
Final Approach

Quote:
I got mine with a prescription (0 / 0), they were the same brand / type as the modern ones, same price. I didn't think they were for temporary wear and in fact they make them for everyday use.
That is why I said:

Professionally made and fitted theatrical contacts are not so much a problem. Often colored lenses of unknown origin are sold at beauty supply stores and even convenience stores.

Another problem that at times happens with teenage girls is that one set gets shared among different wearers, depending who needs to have 'hazel' eyes that night .
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #37
Final Approach

Quote:
That is why I said:

Professionally made and fitted theatrical contacts are not so much a problem. Often colored lenses of unknown origin are sold at beauty supply stores and even convenience stores.

Another problem that at times happens with teenage girls is that one set gets shared among different wearers, depending who needs to have 'hazel' eyes that night .
Gross, they always tell teenage girls to never share eye makeup, at least that was what I was taught. And yonger girls not to share hair brushes.
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #38
Final Approach

Quote:
Gross, they always tell teenage girls to never share eye makeup, at least that was what I was taught. And yonger girls not to share hair brushes.
Doing dumb stuff is not limited to young boys. The desire to get laid will do that.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #39
Position and Hold

What a world we have come to. Gone from drug addicts sharing needles, to teenage girls sharing contacts. What next, communal tooth brushes?
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Posted in reply to denverpilot's post starting "I know plenty of women who've sworn..."
Position and Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
I know plenty of women who've sworn them off for all but the biggest occasions.

Plus if it's snowing here there isn't a pair in sight. Uggs are more common during Winter.

Here... This might help explain it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYGpelWYFx0

Funny funny! They really love picking on California girls.
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Confidential Subjects > Medical Topics