Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise (but no spin zone material, see below).

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

NOTE: Politics and religion and any other topic likely to become highly charged must be posted in The Spin Zone. To gain access to the Spin Zone, click this link and join the Spin Zone group.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
(User ID: Fearless Tower)
Final Approach

June Weather - Midwest and Southeast

Planning the 'Mother of all Cross Countries' - Coast to Coast in a Cessna 170 and looking for some input on typical weather east of New Mexico during the month of June. Virtually all of my flying the past 5 years has been in the SW.

Right now, I'm planning on overnighting in Phoenix and Santa Fe. Those are fairly fixed. From Santa Fe, I'm tentatively planning on flying to Gaston's via Wichita (want to photograph my plane in front of Yingling). Overnight at Gaston's and then on to 6A2 (Griffin-Spalding) to see a friend of mine. Then the final leg on to the Norfolk area (final airport will depend on where we find a house).

Can anyone comment on what I can expect weather wise along that route in mid-June? Looks like I'll have 7-9 days of flex time to make the trip, but will be trying to keep it as expeditious as possible. With no weather or mechanical delays, its looking like a 4 day trip.

Airplane is IFR legal/capable, but with 1940/50's era instrumentation, it isn't the kind of thing you want to fly hard IFR in.

Fearless Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
(User ID: zaitcev)
Pattern Altitude

Re: June Weather - Midwest and Southeast

NM weather in the Summer is almost always good, except for thunderstorms that you have to go around. This only creates difficulties if said storms camp around your refueling destination. So, you may need to put it down in KAEG if KSAF has gusty winds and lightning, and wait a few hours. But it's not very likely on the average.

My logbook says that I only made 3 flights in last June. I remember it wasn't anything to be concerned about. One entry says "proficiency in the wind", but if I made it off the ground, it probably was something like 7 knots crosswind at the most :-)
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
(User ID: tonycondon)
Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)

Send a message via AIM to tonycondon Send a message via MSN to tonycondon

usually around here by then the wind and severe weather has settled down. perhaps some afternoon thunderstorms if there is enough instability but generally good flying weather.
http://www.letsgogliding.com
tonycondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
(User ID: Henning)
Taxi to Parking

Afternoon isolated T-storms are pretty typical around here, Pretty much VFR with boomers that start building in the early afternoon that dump as you near sunset. You just drive around them underneath since the bases are typically 7500'+. As you get north out of the the FL peninsula sucking up the moisture from the surrounding warm water you start picking up more haze as well. There are VFR days in the east where I have to go on instruments if I'm above 5000' due to the glare in the haze. Outside of that, it's all pretty benign unless there is an early season hurricane in the area.

All life is precious, the problem is there is just too much of it.-Dali Lama
Henning is online now   Reply With Quote
Home Register New Posts Today's Posts
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Pilot's Lounge > Hangar Talk