Pilots of America Message Board

Home Live Chat
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Pilot Training

Pilot Training A conference for Pilots in Training and Flight Instructors to ask questions and get answers! Whether you are a new Student Pilot or an advanced commercial pilot training on a new aircraft, if you've got a training question, this is the place for you

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
(User ID: Matthew)
Final Approach

SP to PP-ASEL transition?

A buddy of mine started PP training a long time ago, then had to give it up. He was just about to get started again, then had a heart attack.

He's been getting the itch to start back into it, but needs to get his medical situation in order.

One of the local FBOs now has a Cessna LSA, so no medical required.

I just forewarded him some info from AOPA and Doc Bruce about the steps necessary to get his class-III. He may, or may not, decide it's worth the trouble.

So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over? What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?

Thanks.
Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Posted in reply to Matthew's post "SP to PP-ASEL transition?"
(User ID: Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe)
Final Approach

Re: SP to PP-ASEL transition?

If he has a "real" CFI and not a Sport Pilot only CFI - no big deal.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=48538

"That's the way the rules appear to read, but the Chief Counsel..." - Ron Levy

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
(User ID: Matthew)
Final Approach

I just noticed a thread over on the red board that was asking essentially the same thing.
Matthew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:37 AM
(User ID: Ron Levy)
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over?
All the training he receives from a CFI-ASE counts towards the PP training time requirements. Training received from a CFI-SP counts towards total flight time, but not training time requirements. Solo time counts, but the solo cross countries need to be over 50nm to count for PP solo XC requirements (Sport need only be over 25nm).

Quote:
What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?
Yes, they are. The things he will have to add are the instrument, night, and longer XC's (dual and solo, if done only over 25nm, not 50nm), plus any additional training hours to meet the minimum 20 hours from a CFI-ASE.
Ron Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Posted in reply to Ron Levy's post "Re: SP to PP-ASEL transition?"
(User ID: Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe)
Final Approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy View Post
Yes, they are. The things he will have to add are the instrument, night, and longer XC's (dual and solo, if done only over 25nm, not 50nm), plus any additional training hours to meet the minimum 20 hours from a CFI-ASE.
Which leads one to suspect that the idea that you can get a SP in 1/2 the time required for a PP might be a bit, um... optimistic.

"That's the way the rules appear to read, but the Chief Counsel..." - Ron Levy

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
(User ID: Ron Levy)
Taxi to Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe View Post
Which leads one to suspect that the idea that you can get a SP in 1/2 the time required for a PP might be a bit, um... optimistic.
I suspect it is but don't have much data.
Ron Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Posted in reply to Ron Levy's post "Re: SP to PP-ASEL transition?"
(User ID: jpower)
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy View Post
I suspect it is but don't have much data.
I got my sport in about 40-45 hours. I don't remember the actual number. So it's more like 2/3 the time.
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:24 PM
(User ID: jpower)
Cleared for Takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
A buddy of mine started PP training a long time ago, then had to give it up. He was just about to get started again, then had a heart attack.

He's been getting the itch to start back into it, but needs to get his medical situation in order.

One of the local FBOs now has a Cessna LSA, so no medical required.

I just forewarded him some info from AOPA and Doc Bruce about the steps necessary to get his class-III. He may, or may not, decide it's worth the trouble.

So, lets say he starts training as a SP student, and maybe even gets his SP. and suppose, down the road, he does commit to getting his class-III - if he then starts PP training, how much of the SP training will carry over? What about a transition from SP to PP? Are the minimum requirements similar enough that it won't be like starting over?

Thanks.
Also, I'll almost certainly be doing the transition from sport to private this summer. I'm happy to let you know how it goes.
Go Back   Pilots of America Message Board > Controlled Airspace > Pilot Training