Unlimited Video - '14 IAC Nationals

whifferdill

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
whifferdill
Just wanted to share a video of a type of flying that is rarely seen on YouTube. Unless you're a hardcore acro nut, everyone else seems more interested in the "airshow" style of flying, and few bother to take decent video of the regular competition program.

This video is of Goody Thomas flying the 2nd Unlimited 'Free Unknown' program at the '14 IAC Nationals. Aircraft is an Extra 330SC. He won this flight, but ended up 3rd overall in the final standings. IMO, Goody's flying is the cleanest of any pilot in the US. Keep in mind this sequence was an "Unknown" flight, meaning the pilots had no opportunity to fly this sequence in practice. You walk through it on the ground, mentally prepare/plan as best you can, and then go do it. No do-overs. The level of focus required is supreme, and it's very easy to make the smallest mistake, or mis-fly a figure in the smallest way. Goody got through this clean. The actual sequence is below, for anyone who can decipher Aresti.

Most may find this style of flying much more 'boring' and unimpressive than all the tumbles and flat spins that you see at air shows, but I guarantee the level of skill and precision displayed here is immense, and MUCH higher than what you see from the average tumble-snap-fest airshow flight. Though there is top-level talent on the airshow circuit, like Rob Holland, Mike Goulian, Patty, and Sean Tucker. All of those folks but Sean are past and current (Rob) IAC Unlimited National Champions. Sean is a past Advanced Nat's Champ. Airshows and competitions are two different worlds, each with unique challenges, but this is just a glimpse of the 'other side'.

avh7dj.jpg

Last edited:
We want to see the video of him on the ground pretending he is flying the sequence. That is lots more entertaining :)

Thanks for sharing! I have to say I am more impressed with the judges ability to score these flights than even the pilots abilities. That was a lot of maneuvers to memorize and perform well on short notice.

I've been to some of these before to watch friends compete. I've wanted to get involved in this after I took an into course in a Decathlon.

Maybe one day.

I have to say I am more impressed with the judges ability to score these flights than even the pilots abilities.

Yeah judging is a whole separate discipline, and just like flying involves a steep learning curve, practice, and experience to perform well at. That being said, few work as hard (or are as good) at being a judge as Goody works on (and is as good at) being a pilot. :) However, just like flying skill across all 5 categories of difficulty, judging quality can vary widely. On average, it's pretty good. Judges are far from perfect, just like the pilots in the airplanes flying the figures. It's quite an exercise keeping up with the pace and complexity - especially in Unlimited.

I'm a judge, and before contests, I always put in extra practice on the sequences as well as the judging rules. At Nationals, judges are carefully selected based on experience. At Regional contests, we need all the judges we can get, due to the relatively low numbers who have the certification. Even though judging varies, and judges are human, in my contest experience, the pilot who flew the best and/or made the fewest undisputable technical mistakes is the one who ended up in 1st place. I've not seen bias or politics in judging at the contests I've attended and run. Overall, the process works well.

Whifferdill -- Do you ever come to the events that happen in Sherman, TX?

If so, it would be cool to come see you perform.

Whifferdill -- Do you ever come to the events that happen in Sherman, TX?

No, but I'm considering going to Nationals this year. It's a massive haul in the Pitts from NC. My buddy is offering to let me fly his Giles if I want to airline down, but I wouldn't do as well in that airplane with such little practice. But I want to go to Nat's at least once just to do it.

Does the Pitts design allow for easy wing removal so you can trailer the aircraft?

Well, you could get the wings off in a couple hours but then to find a truck, set it up for safe transport, pack everything safely, drive that far, reassemble, re-rig the wings, test fly the new rigging, adjust as necessary...is not exactly a quick or easy proposition. This is often done, but pretty much only when the airplane is unflyable and needs to be moved.

Yeah, unless a plane is designed to trailer, typically it's a major proposition.

I've been to some of these before to watch friends compete. I've wanted to get involved in this after I took an into course in a Decathlon.

Maybe one day.

I helped out at the Rome contest last year and don't fly Acro, yet. I was hoping to have some acro time in by now and maybe fly primary this year but I am dragging out my IR. If your around in June 4-6th there will be another contest at KRMG.

Yeah I've been tentatively planning on Rome this year. Haven't been to a GA contest since '09 at Tara.

Does the Pitts design allow for easy wing removal so you can trailer the aircraft?

Why would you remove the wings and trailer it?
The plane cruises 175 mph and a truck 70.
Maybe you should pull the wings off your plane and trailer it down to 11R for lunch. Ha! Ha!

Back