Top 10(?) signs you've been at Airventure too long

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
* You don't remove your wristband until a full day after you left the show when someone points it out and asks what it is.
* You get in the shower and don't realize your sunglasses are still on until you stick your face in the water.
* You have a tan that makes you look like a white-footed raccoon.
* You think that the four cardinal directions are GA camping, ultralights, Aeroshell Square, and Main Entrance.
* Your blisters have feet.
* Your alarm clock doesn't wake you up because it doesn't sound like a Ford Trimotor.
* You actually stop looking at the sky whenever you hear an airplane flying because your neck is really starting to hurt.

* You don't remove your wristband until a full day after you left the show when someone points it out and asks what it is.

check, wore mine all day at work, no one asked. need to find scissors.

* You have a tan that makes you look like a white-footed raccoon.

check

* Your blisters have feet.

check. i could barely walk from my car to the house yesterday.

* You know that when you STOP hearing helicopters it's about to storm.
* You have convinced yourself that a $1.4 million turboprop is actually a bargain.
* Even Diana has gone home.

* You find a Mile High Airlines T-Shirt in your belongings and don't remember where it came from ;) :D

* Even Diana has gone home.
:D I almost stayed till Monday because I didn't want to miss anything or anyone and I was curious about what it was like on the "morning after". Except I was afraid that they would take away the nearest Port-A-Potty. :eek:

:D I almost stayed till Monday because I didn't want to miss anything or anyone and I was curious about what it was like on the "morning after". Except I was afraid that they would take away the nearest Port-A-Potty. :eek:
I've been there on the morning after. It's kind of creepy.

I've been there on the morning after. It's kind of creepy.

Creepy? Try being the last plane parked on the North 40. Mine was in 2003. I have pictures.

It's pretty much down to normal operations shortly after the show. The only indication I had of an AirVenture remnant was having the Airbus Beluga being cleared for takeoff ahead of me.

* You know that when you STOP hearing helicopters it's about to storm.

Actually, during one of the worst storms this year (Thursday, maybe? I just know I was standing in the little CubCrafters cabin thingie) the helo kept flying right through it! :hairraise: In fact, they kept circling and didn't land for a while, I was wondering if the pilot felt that staying up was safer than attempting to land. Yikes.

Someone either really got their money's worth and the ride of their life, or they're never getting in a small aircraft again.

I did both my Private, and Instrument at OSH. That place is completely deserted for the rest of the year. Probably wouldn't warrant a control tower if it werent for the convention.

It makes a great plcat for an IPC/instrument practice though you can do an ILS, LOC, LOC/BC, GPS (Even LPV), VOR, and NDB att at the same place. Plus FLD has an SDF with a DME arc if you need one of those and it's only 15 miles to the south.

Pete

Same here. weird and quiet. What I have heard that a week later it's unbelievable. :eek:
That, too. Oshkosh outside of the show is a very quiet airport. At the beginning of my EAA involvement I was up there Mid June-Mid Sept and it was a little eerie going entire days and not hearing a single airplane. The manager of the nearby Applebees said they get 40 percent of their revenue during the 20 days around AirVenture. And you can drive around the grounds and all the buildings are either reduced to a ceiling on stilts or else closed up. It's reminiscent of a Wild West ghost town, except for the lack of tumbleweeds.

I did both my Private, and Instrument at OSH. That place is completely deserted for the rest of the year. Probably wouldn't warrant a control tower if it werent for the convention.

It makes a great plcat for an IPC/instrument practice though you can do an ILS, LOC, LOC/BC, GPS (Even LPV), VOR, and NDB att at the same place. Plus FLD has an SDF with a DME arc if you need one of those and it's only 15 miles to the south.

Pete

OSH has a tower because it's served by United (Express?) and other commercial carriers.

Now that I think about it, when I was at uncontrolled FKL they had several USAir flights each day.

That, too. Oshkosh outside of the show is a very quiet airport. At the beginning of my EAA involvement I was up there Mid June-Mid Sept and it was a little eerie going entire days and not hearing a single airplane. The manager of the nearby Applebees said they get 40 percent of their revenue during the 20 days around AirVenture. And you can drive around the grounds and all the buildings are either reduced to a ceiling on stilts or else closed up. It's reminiscent of a Wild West ghost town, except for the lack of tumbleweeds.

The year before my first successful visit, I drove up the weekend AFTER EAA. I got to see the outlines in the grass where the planes had shaded it. I also talked by CB radio (guess when that was) to the staff who said, "Too bad. You should have been here last Saturday."

Actually Osh hasn't had any commercial service in years....all of that is in ATW now. Although you can still catch a Greyhound bus from the terminal if needed.

Pete

Actually Osh hasn't had any commercial service in years....all of that is in ATW now. Although you can still catch a Greyhound bus from the terminal if needed.

Pete

Not many years. I followed a United Express taking off maybe 4-5 years ago.

I thought we saw a commuter jet taking off on 27 during AirVenture. Musta been a bizjet.

Actually, during one of the worst storms this year (Thursday, maybe? I just know I was standing in the little CubCrafters cabin thingie) the helo kept flying right through it! :hairraise: In fact, they kept circling and didn't land for a while, I was wondering if the pilot felt that staying up was safer than attempting to land. Yikes.

I was in the Anywhere map tech support tent, just behind hanger A.

I noticed the same thing. The guys are trying to hold the tent down to keep it from blowing away, and the helos are just driving along like nothing was happening.

A 727 and a couple of 737s operated in and out of OSH during Airventure, also a Gulfstream 550.

They were charters.

I thought we saw a commuter jet taking off on 27 during AirVenture. Musta been a bizjet.

My best "bird band" story was that we stopped at MGW on the way home for lunch (they have a little coffee shop in the terminal building). At this point I notice I'm still wearing the band. I pick up the knife off the table (metal, but duller than hell) and start trying to cut the band off. Finally it gives way and the knife snaps right through the glass of coke on the table instantly shattering it and making an ungodly mess.

My best "bird band" story was that we stopped at MGW on the way home for lunch (they have a little coffee shop in the terminal building). At this point I notice I'm still wearing the band. I pick up the knife off the table (metal, but duller than hell) and start trying to cut the band off. Finally it gives way and the knife snaps right through the glass of coke on the table instantly shattering it and making an ungodly mess.

:D I wore mine until Tuesday. When I went to cut it off I used a utility knife ("box cutter!!!") and I was very careful which way the blade would travel near my wrist.

i did the same Mike. was walking around waiting to find a scissors but they never showed up.

I'm boring. Just pulled out the Leatherman when we got home that evening and sliced them off.

Orion, the new fbo, is in the old terminal. They've been there since early 2003 at least.

flyingcheesehead;208973* You have a tan that makes you look like a white-footed raccoon. [/quote said:
After going to AirVenture for the first time in 14 years, and being there for the first time as a pilot, I was hoping for much more OSH coverage on the Red Board. No such luck.

Thanks to you PofA folks for such a great board!

After going to AirVenture for the first time in 14 years, and being there for the first time as a pilot, I was hoping for much more OSH coverage on the Red Board. No such luck.

Thanks to you PofA folks for such a great board!
Welcome to the forum. :)

Back