Thinking about a Bus/RV

Let me guess. You are going to put the Wankel in the bus.

Not for it's propulsive effect but just so it can be started and make a noise. I guess you would need a load for it to sound right.

The remaining question is, exhaust inside or outside? Inside, you would need a lot of ventilation but would get the full effect of the sound, outside just seems too sensible.
Wankel onboard generator swap!

Sweet 9000 rpm RV park sounds, all evening long.

ce0e91de-0411-4d8a-a464-788486e34108.jpg

I get the bus noise/sleep thing. In my 20s I used to do a regular 8 hr drive in an old Blazer with snow tires all around. I have no idea how I kept awake for all of those trips...and thinking back, I did nod off for a second or two on some trips, and I'm lucky. Road sounds = sleepy sounds. No kidding, I bet you could sell just the audio files.

I get the bus noise/sleep thing. In my 20s I used to do a regular 8 hr drive in an old Blazer with snow tires all around. I have no idea how I kept awake for all of those trips...and thinking back, I did nod off for a second or two on some trips, and I'm lucky. Road sounds = sleepy sounds. No kidding, I bet you could sell just the audio files.

That’s an interesting thought. Those videos get good views but aren’t very profitable on monetization because I turn off mid-video ads. Figure if the point is to have sleep sounds, having ads interrupt defeats the purpose and is rude.

For those who like reading the comments, my latest video on Super Singles has gotten pretty hilarious response. The things aren't popular among truckers. I'm sure it surprises nobody on here that something that's unpopular with the masses suits me well, and that most of the arguments against them I think tend to be due to improper use or arguments that don't hold water.

Anyway, it's been rather humorous to me, especially from the people who clearly didn't even watch the video prior to making a comment (which helps the YouTube algorithm in my favor, regardless of whether those comments are positive or negative). Not too many are hitting the thumbs down, though, as that ratio is still pretty high. And also humorously, it's doing remarkably well (for me) view wise. At over 5,500 views, it's quickly coming up on my #2 most viewed video in the past 365 days, with the #1 being my Prevost intro video I did last year. In another day or two it'll probably hit the #2 slot, and may even beat the Prevost video given another few months.

I do not understand the ways of the YouTube.

*break break*

The toilet, an electronic macerator unit, wasn't working properly. Although advertised as "new" (and looks new, maybe the bowl itself is) the controls seem to not be working correctly. I ordered a new control box, switch panel, and solenoid valve for the fresh water, as the issue I've been having is it not wanting to fill properly.

Now that I have an idea of how the system works, I'm thinking about the idea of adding a manual switch tin there that will let me both manually fill and empty the toilet at the same time. The reason for this would be to fill the black tank for cleaning purposes, rather than sitting there and pushing the "full" and "empty" buttons a whole bunch. However I can add that in anytime, so I may just wait on that for the moment.

Prevost sent me a reman air compressor, and literally did not package the thing at all. So, not surprisingly, it showed up damaged. They sent me another one which just arrived, hopefully that one looks a bit better.

The other thing I've been needing to mess with but haven't fully decided what to do with is my exhaust rockers, the rollers of which have varying levels of pitting on them. That's something that if I need to wait until after my next trip, I can, but I'd like to get it fixed. I'll see what I can work out, but my air system is the bigger concern.

I do not understand the ways of the YouTube.

If you figure it out, let me know. Our oldest has been making YT videos for a couple of years. He's learned a lot about video capture and editing, etc., so we've let him run with it. He recently created a new channel dedicated solely to Fortnite videos (gotta give the people what they want!). For the most part he gets <1k views per video, but he's had a couple of vids that tripped some sort of algorithm trigger and pushed one of them up to 36k views and his latest one from last week is over 27k views. He's also captured over 1400 subscribers, so he's on the cusp of being able to be monetized (we're considering setting up a college fund for him to deposit his 32-cent checks. ha!). It's so weird seeing the views/subs numbers climb over the past few days. Luckily, he's actually geeking out on trying to figure out what the algorithm does and is crunching the viewer data profiles, etc., so he's learning something out of it. He said he's looking forward to getting a new analytics screen once he gets monetized. He might have some engi-nerd in him after all.

If you figure it out, let me know. Our oldest has been making YT videos for a couple of years. He's learned a lot about video capture and editing, etc., so we've let him run with it. He recently created a new channel dedicated solely to Fortnite videos (gotta give the people what they want!). For the most part he gets <1k views per video, but he's had a couple of vids that tripped some sort of algorithm trigger and pushed one of them up to 36k views and his latest one from last week is over 27k views. He's also captured over 1400 subscribers, so he's on the cusp of being able to be monetized (we're considering setting up a college fund for him to deposit his 32-cent checks. ha!). It's so weird seeing the views/subs numbers climb over the past few days. Luckily, he's actually geeking out on trying to figure out what the algorithm does and is crunching the viewer data profiles, etc., so he's learning something out of it. He said he's looking forward to getting a new analytics screen once he gets monetized. He might have some engi-nerd in him after all.

I'm not sure what the current thresholds are, but what's important is to sign up for monetization as soon as you hit that threshold. Once signed up then they don't revoke it (unless you do something against the rules) but I had a few days where I was right on the edge and it went back and forth because I missed hitting the "Submit" button while it was active.

I seem to recall that the subscriber base only needed to be 1,000 or so (and maybe not even that? I can't recall) but that you also needed to have 1,000 hours of watch time within some period, and that was what I had a hard time ticking over. My channel started getting monetized a bit over a year ago, so it both 1) may have changed since then 2) I may have forgotten the details since then. But I seem to recall that the watch time was what delayed it for me.

Unfortunately you don't get "back-paid" for anything you did pre-monetization. When I first started, my "goal" was to earn $1/day from monetization. What surprised me was that I was basically there once I got monetized. It's gone up from there. It's still nothing that impacts my life, but it's certainly not bad for a school age kid where it could either be a college fund, pay for his first car, something like that.

The analytics screen and what you get with that is really neat. I geek out on that quite a bit.

I'm not sure what the current thresholds are, but what's important is to sign up for monetization as soon as you hit that threshold. Once signed up then they don't revoke it (unless you do something against the rules) but I had a few days where I was right on the edge and it went back and forth because I missed hitting the "Submit" button while it was active.

I seem to recall that the subscriber base only needed to be 1,000 or so (and maybe not even that? I can't recall) but that you also needed to have 1,000 hours of watch time within some period, and that was what I had a hard time ticking over. My channel started getting monetized a bit over a year ago, so it both 1) may have changed since then 2) I may have forgotten the details since then. But I seem to recall that the watch time was what delayed it for me.

Unfortunately you don't get "back-paid" for anything you did pre-monetization. When I first started, my "goal" was to earn $1/day from monetization. What surprised me was that I was basically there once I got monetized. It's gone up from there. It's still nothing that impacts my life, but it's certainly not bad for a school age kid where it could either be a college fund, pay for his first car, something like that.

The analytics screen and what you get with that is really neat. I geek out on that quite a bit.

I think (based solely on what my 12 y/o has told me) is that it's currently 1k subscribers and 4k watch hours in the previous 365 days. He hit the subscribers target on Sunday I believe and he was thinking he would have the watch hours target overnight last night. I didn't talk to him before he left for school this morning to see if he made it.

It's definitely something fun to work towards and geek out on all the stats. ALMOST makes me wish I had paid more attention in my Marketing 101 class in college...... ALMOST, but not quite. ;)

I think (based solely on what my 12 y/o has told me) is that it's currently 1k subscribers and 4k watch hours in the previous 365 days. He hit the subscribers target on Sunday I believe and he was thinking he would have the watch hours target overnight last night. I didn't talk to him before he left for school this morning to see if he made it.

It's definitely something fun to work towards and geek out on all the stats. ALMOST makes me wish I had paid more attention in my Marketing 101 class in college...... ALMOST, but not quite. ;)

Those numbers sound right. If I take a look, I'm currently at just over 11k watch hours for the past 365 days, and YouTube says that's ~150% more than the previous 365 days. What's also interesting is that my total views over the past 365 days (~150k) is only ~50% more than the previous. So I guess that tells me that my view "quality" (wathch hours per view) is ticking up, and I suppose that does track with what I've been casually observing.

Also, I should make one clarification. You don't get "back-paid" for views/revenue that would've occurred prior to your monetization. But, videos you made pre-monetization will start making money for you. For example, one of my more popular videos is one I made of a Cloud Nine flight in the MU-2. It's got over 24k views (for me that's a lot) and I put it up around 5 years ago. Once I hit monetization, it started making me money.

Back