the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

ok, gotta get current again in the cub then i'll head down. if i leave now, i'll be there early next week!
Let me know first so I can mow it... It's about 18" tall right now lol

I've decided the next house will have a walk in freezer. These stand up and chest freezers ain't cutting it.

This morning tower cleared me for immediate take-off, no delay. About 1/4 down the runway at around 40AGL, I tap to the traffic screen and see a Falcon jet landing in the opposite direction pass underneath me. I also noticed that there's a 737 crossing right in front of them. Looks like they missed by only a few feet.

And then I woke up.

"Buy an airplane" they said.
"It will be fun" they said.
"Get an E-AB airplane and you can do your own maintenance" they said.

To re-install these cable bushings and snap the retaining ring onto the two halves of the bushing you get to lie on your back under the airplane (on a hangar floor that is returning to nature) and reach in through the inspection holes and work blind.

The good news is that I'm done with that job and have moved on to relining the brakes.

IMG_0943.JPG

"Buy an airplane" they said.
"It will be fun" they said.
"Get an E-AB airplane and you can do your own maintenance" they said.

To re-install these cable bushings and snap the retaining ring onto the two halves of the bushing you get to lie on your back under the airplane (on a hangar floor that is returning to nature) and reach in through the inspection holes and work blind.

The good news is that I'm done with that job and have moved on to relining the brakes.

View attachment 128491

ycdi.gif

But if Jim's shoes come untied, he now has to pay the JD dealership $$$$ because he isn't allowed to tie them himself!
Ironically I'm taking it up there this afternoon lol. The air conditioner quit Saturday and I have a long list of things I'd rather be working on. Like my airplane :biggrin:

I've decided the next house will have a walk in freezer. These stand up and chest freezers ain't cutting it.
What might you be storing so much of that you need an industrial walk in freezer? Sub contracting for the mafia?

This morning tower cleared me for immediate take-off, no delay. About 1/4 down the runway at around 40AGL, I tap to the traffic screen and see a Falcon jet landing in the opposite direction pass underneath me. I also noticed that there's a 737 crossing right in front of them. Looks like they missed by only a few feet.

And then I woke up.
You know...... the typical "stress dream" used to be confined to that math class final test you that either you forgot to study for or you just forgot you were in the class altogether and never attended. Every now and then my new "stress dream" is stalling, or watching another plane close to the ground stall and spin. I'm usually on the ground shouting "NOSE DOWN! NOSE DOWN!"

What might you be storing so much of that you need an industrial walk in freezer? Sub contracting for the mafia?
Currently between the 4 freezers there's 300lbs of elk brats/cheddar brats/Italian sausage. Roughly 450lbs of elk steaks from 2 different animals. Some bear back straps. 1/4 cow. 1/2 pig. And a pile of salmon and halibut. Buddy of mine has a place in El Paso that does safari type hunts. So when he needs to cull some critters I'll go out there.

You start piling meat in and you forget what's in there. Just found out I still had moose heart. From '07. Which made me dig up the pictures. Longest my hair ever got.

I don't buy meat at the store.

Currently between the 4 freezers there's 300lbs of elk brats/cheddar brats/Italian sausage. Roughly 450lbs of elk steaks from 2 different animals. Some bear back straps. 1/4 cow. 1/2 pig. And a pile of salmon and halibut. Buddy of mine has a place in El Paso that does safari type hunts. So when he needs to cull some critters I'll go out there.

You start piling meat in and you forget what's in there. Just found out I still had moose heart. From '07. Which made me dig up the pictures. Longest my hair ever got.

I don't buy meat at the store.

apparently you don't eat much of it either.... or you need to have a few more friends help you (I'm not presuming to be included...)

apparently you don't eat much of it either.... or you need to have a few more friends help you (I'm not presuming to be included...)
The last 3 bulls we got were all 400 pounds dressed. So 1200 pounds in 2 years. Most of my friends also have wild game in the freezer.

I'm just prepared for the apocalypse.

There is salmon and halibut in El Paso.?? :lol:

Also discussed earlier, @Jim K does fiberglass too.
View attachment 128522
I think I learned more practical things in 24 hours than I did the last few years put together.
Necessity is the mother of invention, or in my case, figuring out how to do ****. I'm close, my mechanic gave it his imprimatur this morning, and paint is going on (after I moved my workspace out from under the Carpenter bees):

IMG_20240506_170314214.jpg

My mechanic also mentioned that he was estimating 20-30 hours @$107/hr, which is part of why he encouraged me to do it. I'd guess I'm coming up on about 20 at this point, mostly in 2 hour sessions.

Necessity is the mother of invention, or in my case, figuring out how to do ****. I'm close, my mechanic gave it his imprimatur this morning, and paint is going on (after I moved my workspace out from under the Carpenter bees):

View attachment 128523

My mechanic also mentioned that he was estimating 20-30 hours @$107/hr, which is part of why he encouraged me to do it. I'd guess I'm coming up on about 20 at this point, mostly in 2 hour sessions.
Oh that's cool! I think that's worthy of a thread. Rattle can primer? Then sand and color on top? Guessing...have never done airplane painting.

View attachment 128523

That sure looks fancy for a tractor door.

Oh that's cool! I think that's worthy of a thread. Rattle can primer? Then sand and color on top? Guessing...have never done airplane painting.
Had a few pinholes and imperfections, so using high build primer to get it nice & smooth. I don't know much about painting, but I do know that getting the surface perfect is the key to having remotely decent looking paint. I'll block sand the primer and shoot it. I'm thinking I'm going to use my beloved Rustoleum "appliance white". It's a perfect match for my color, it's cheap, and it's tough as nails. Bad part about it is they want you to recoat within 30min or wait a week, so if it's not perfect or something falls into it it's a long wait to fix it. I'm also not sure if it sands at all.

Other option is to go get some automotive touch-up paint. My shop matched my white to a GM color when they put my new wingtips on, and that would be easy to do multiple coats and wet sand to be perfect, but it means another trip to town, more money, and many more steps. The paint on the rest of the plane is decent, but it's 20 years old, so a perfect smooth glossy area would look a little out of place.

Last edited:
Had a few pinholes and imperfections, so using high build primer to get it nice & smooth. I don't know much about painting, but I do know that getting the surface perfect is the key to having remotely decent looking paint. I'll block sand the primer and shoot it. I'm thinking I'm going to use my beloved Rustoleum "appliance white". It's a perfect match for my color, it's cheap, and it's tough as nails. Bad part about it is they want you to recoat within 30min or wait a week, so if it's not perfect or something falls into it it's a long wait to fix it. I'm also not sure if it sands at all.

Other option is to go get some automotive touch-up paint. My shop matched my white to a GM color when they put my new wingtips on, and that would be easy to do multiple coats and wet sand to be perfect, but it means another trip to town, more money, and many more steps. The paint on the rest of the plane is decent, but it's 20 years old, so a perfect smooth glossy area would look a little out of place.
I've had pretty good luck with durability on a few projects with Rustoleum oil-based enamel, but that is with tractors and trailers/metal parts using a $15 Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun.

I think flight hours should be like sky miles where you can purchase them at a discount or give them away to folks or earn them by using your credit card on qualifying purchases. anyone want to donate a hunj or two?

I think flight hours should be like sky miles where you can purchase them at a discount or give them away to folks or earn them by using your credit card on qualifying purchases. anyone want to donate a hunj or two?
What, are you going to the airlines now, too?

Isn't flying the Mooney basically free?

that's apparently what some local time builders think....."oh well we'll just fly with you to build hours since you have a plane".

oh really, is that how it works??

that's apparently what some local time builders think....."oh well we'll just fly with you to build hours since you have a plane".

oh really, is that how it works??

I’m surprised that you and [mention]SixPapaCharlie [/mention] don’t fly together each with one eye shut while each handling the yokes. You can both log
P”eye”C then I’m pretty sure and get to 1500 for cheaper.

"Color" is done. Has a little too much texture compared to the old paint, so I guess I'll have to wet sand it after it cures for a bit, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Hard part is done, just simple reassembly from here on out. And yes, I did test fit it before I painted it.

IMG_20240507_202945921.jpg

"Color" is done. Has a little too much texture compared to the old paint, so I guess I'll have to wet sand it after it cures for a bit, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Hard part is done, just simple reassembly from here on out. And yes, I did test fit it before I painted it.

View attachment 128570
Next can you weld my engine mount?

Next can you weld my engine mount?
Does someone need a 6g aerospace certified tig welder....?

View attachment 128570
In case there's a next time, to soften that edge above the "N"....roll the tape up so it's standing out.

Little trick 16 yr old me was taught when I had to fiberglass, bondo, and paint the race car after an "exciting" weekend.

Back