Piper Warrior budget Waas Gps advice

I think I finally have a game plan after a lot of back and forth. I’m about to order a direct wiring harness from Approach fast stack using the Garmin GNC355. The last piece of the puzzle is do I use a 106B, GI275 or a G5 DG/Nav. I’m leaning on a G5 as I plan on putting a G5 adi in later and by having the wiring harness already wired for future G5’s, it keeps me near my budget for this year.

I decided on the pre wired harness because of the reviews, quality of hardware and connections and will help this A&P quite a bit regarding labor and possible interference from poor connection points. I also talked to Sean at fast stack quite a bit and he was always timely,patient and thorough with his replies. I called quite a few avionics shops and they were north of $15k for the 355 with a 106a. I think the wiring harness with my A&P is where I’m headed.
I think you will be very happy with the G5 HSI. The lack of precession with the accompanying GMU-11 is worth the price alone, plus it can do GNSS roll steering with applicable autopilots, which is automagical for enroute and initial approach flying. Once you install the second G5, you can get rid of the vacuum system and 10-15 lb, assuming you don't use a vacuum driven AP. Finding a good spot for the GMU-11 can be challenging, but if your mechanic has done it before for your type aircraft, it makes things easier and cheaper. My GMU-11 went in the right spot first time, based on my mechanics prior installs in the same type.

Question, If I purchased a GTN-650, can it share the same 209 CDI with the kx-155? Do they make a switch I can use to go back and forth between a ILS and GPS/LPV?
Yes, but:

1. The 209 has a built-in converter and takes a composite input. For various reasons, this is less than ideal with a GTN650.
2. The way things cost these days, you are probably better off installing something electronic that can internally switch rather than installing an external switch if not in the short run then definitely in the long run. Or possibly better yet (depending on a few factors), 2 different CDI.

Thanks to both of you for your input. All good points and think I’ll go with the 355 and G5’s. My autopilot is vacuum driven, but I’m going to eventually replace it with something newer.

I have seen installations with such a switch. One CAP 182 I fly has 2x King nav/coms and a Garmin 400 (GPS only , no VHF nav or com). And there is a switch for the CDI input.

Back