Name that snake

Yeah happens when ya meet Mr Hoe....hopefullly.

It took a while but after digging around I found this photo I took of a meeting I had on the golf course a few years ago. This cottonmouth was a little upset because I interrupted his nap.

As you can see cottonmouths are a tad aggressive and it's best to leave 'em alone. I pinned this guy down with my driver handle, and told my golfing buddy to hand me my cell phone so I could take a picture. His answer, which was from about 75 feet away, was "**** you, I'm not getting any closer to that GD thing!" :D :D

5525967485_42504525d4.jpg

From a distance that one appears to be another copperhead. Still nothing I'd want to be playing with.

Not a copperhead either. Whatever it is, it's non-venomous. Pine snake possibly, but I have no idea what part of the country it was found in.

After further review I think it's a rat snake.

Seems like it would be kinda difficult to kill a snake with a revolver unless you beat it to death... :D

Seems like it would be kinda difficult to kill a snake with a revolver unless you beat it to death... :D

Really dangerous too.

I spent all day outside working on my place and planting in the garden. Saw seven snakes. 2 venomous, 5 non, from 8" on the small side, to 5' on the other end of the spectrum. All survived, everything is fine, and I didn't scream like a little girl and kill any of them! :cool:

IMG_20160509_075239860.jpg

Last edited:
Nice gun. The prices on the Colt "snake" guns have been going through the roof of late.

All survived, everything is fine, and I didn't scream like a little girl and kill any of them! :cool:

Woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woah woaaaaah... we are not to scream like girls, then?

Can we at least high-step it out of there, acting casual, but screaming very high-pitched on the inside...? That's kinda my M.O.

I literally dug this little guy up this evening:

IMG_20160516_191444967.jpg

His head is on the the bottom side of the picture. I assume this is an eastern worm snake, and he had dug himself into a pile of dirt the landscapers left me last year. I understand they're quite common over most of their range, but you seldom see them since the spend much of their time underground or hiding under something. I know this is the first time I've seen one.

Back