High Altitude Flight test

Highly recommend a finger oximeter to measure blood oxygen %. They are inexpensive.
I want to emphasize how important it is to measure the blood oxygen saturation level. You can't go by feel on this; you have to measure it. A pulse oximeter is a cheap, accurate and easy-to-use tool to do that. Take a reading every few minutes; it may be your only indication if something is wrong with your oxygen supply.

Here is an interview I recorded with Dr. Brent Blue on the topic of oxygen for pilots:

I want to emphasize how important it is to measure the blood oxygen saturation level. You can't go by feel on this; you have to measure it. A pulse oximeter is a cheap, accurate and easy-to-use tool to do that. Take a reading every few minutes; it may be your only indication if something is wrong with your oxygen supply.

Here is an interview I recorded with Dr. Brent Blue on the topic of oxygen for pilots:

Good stuff.

Someone in aviation should really go learn and test the specific pros and cons of the oxygen systems. It seems like lots of posters talk well about the concentrator systems, but the data available on them seems fuzzy (at least to me as a retired RN). The pulse systems seem to offer longevity of supply but did not serve me well on one isolated test. Some flying magazine, MD in the business, or even popular YouTuber needs to get their act in gear. Get each the systems in a plane, go test under similar conditions and altitudes, and share the data.
Test:
continuous mask AND nasal cannula
concentrator
systems that give just a short burst at start of inhalation.
Perhaps add in breathing methods to use if one gets in trouble.
Monitor cockpit O2% would be helpful, normal should be 21%.
Perhaps use watch and finger monitoring system.

I have the mountain high portable pulse demand to contribute to testing (but want it back).

Dr. Blue is telling us how to avoid hypoxia?:rofl:

I have noticed that when I fly an unpressurized aircraft above 18,000 msl I produce and release excess oxygen.

(oxygen is considered a gas, right.??)

Good stuff.

Someone in aviation should really go learn and test the specific pros and cons of the oxygen systems. It seems like lots of posters talk well about the concentrator systems, but the data available on them seems fuzzy (at least to me as a retired RN). The pulse systems seem to offer longevity of supply but did not serve me well on one isolated test. Some flying magazine, MD in the business, or even popular YouTuber needs to get their act in gear. Get each the systems in a plane, go test under similar conditions and altitudes, and share the data.
Test:
continuous mask AND nasal cannula
concentrator
systems that give just a short burst at start of inhalation.
Perhaps add in breathing methods to use if one gets in trouble.
Monitor cockpit O2% would be helpful, normal should be 21%.
Perhaps use watch and finger monitoring system.

I have the mountain high portable pulse demand to contribute to testing (but want it back).
I’m sure you know but beware of false pulse ox readings as well. Happens a lot when we fly patients. Sunlight, aircraft vibration, skin condition, etc.

... the most telling symptom was my vision slowing tunneling... I put the mask back and everything went back to normal in 5 secs.
I get the same symptom during ultra endurance sports events as I approach my limits. First, I start to lose peripheral vision. If I don't slow down or stop, it gradually tunnels in and then colors fade to grey. When pushing the limits I keep aware of this so I can avoid pushing too hard, passing out and falling down or crashing.

I get the same symptom during ultra endurance sports events as I approach my limits. First, I start to lose peripheral vision. If I don't slow down or stop, it gradually tunnels in and then colors fade to grey. When pushing the limits I keep aware of this so I can avoid pushing too hard, passing out and falling down or crashing.
Me too…somewhere around the 8-minute mark.

Back