Happy SSNRA Day to Me!

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
That is Social Security Normal Retirement Age, although I believe that the Social Security admin folks refer to it as full retirement age. So, what does that mean for me? Nothing, for now, I'm still working the same job and hope to continue for four more years, but as my mother used to say, if you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.

My wife is planning to retire in early 2027, and I'm 100% WFH, so we could sell this overly large house and move any time after that, and we've had a few discussions about where we'd want to live. Any advice from those who've made the transition from working to (mostly) retirement would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations!

Are you wanting to stay in one place and have a plot of land to call home? The reason I ask is that a Prevost is a great option for a home. Add a stacker trailer for the toys and follow whatever race series you want around the country.

Any advice from those who've made the transition from working to (mostly) retirement would be greatly appreciated.
The #1 advice given to me when I retired was... be sure you retire TO something instead of retiring FROM something. And after almost 10 years it still holds true today as every year, I find new things to continue retiring to. Good luck.

The #1 advice given to me when I retired was... be sure you retire TO something instead of retiring FROM something. And after almost 10 years it still holds true today as every year, I find new things to continue retiring to. Good luck.

Back at my last employer my cube neighbor was “planning his retirement," pointing out that failing to do so results in death for many men. At the time I didn't fully get it (especially given how many hobbies I had and still have), but I get it more now.

Incidentally, he retired a while ago, and has been really enjoying it. He planned what he wanted to do and it's panned out for him.

Back at my last employer my cube neighbor was “planning his retirement," pointing out that failing to do so results in death for many men. At the time I didn't fully get it (especially given how many hobbies I had and still have), but I get it more now.

Incidentally, he retired a while ago, and has been really enjoying it. He planned what he wanted to do and it's panned out for him.
Having grown up on the farm, where old farmers retire, move to town, and are dead within 6 months because they don’t know what to do with themselves, I used to worry about my dad retiring. He really didn’t have hobbies. He made it 8 years before cancer (well, technically chemo) killed him.

I’m out in 3 weeks. Got so many hobbies and business ideas and some less serious work options that I don’t know what to do. I’m taking the summer off for now. Will figure it out soon.

Congratulations!

Are you wanting to stay in one place and have a plot of land to call home? The reason I ask is that a Prevost is a great option for a home. Add a stacker trailer for the toys and follow whatever race series you want around the country.
Thanks. When I was a teenager, my family did a two month summer tour in a 24 foot Winnebago. I really enjoyed it and would do it again, but my wife is strongly anti-RV, and really wants a lake house. I'm a little reluctant to take on something that will require too much maintenance, I'll be at least 70 at that point. Maybe we could buy something a little more modest and head out for a long tour, if nothing else the RV solves the problem of traveling with dogs.

A while back I was talking with my boss and he asked me if I had done any thinking about when I would retire. His thinking was that it was good to retire early so we could still go out and do things. If I retired now, I have no idea what I'd do with myself. I've been thinking that I'd like to retire from IT, take a few months off, and then try to find something part time for a few more years. Of course, all this depends on our health. My sister has long covid and is pretty close to disabled.

I saw the frustration my Dad had as he got older and couldn't do as much as he wanted/needed to do (e.g., taking care of Mom). A friend of mine retired a little early (took the wooden handshake from the corporation) and complained he was busier in retirement than he was when working.

I tried to learn from others... and I retired early while I was still able to do things, volunteer work, target shooting, woodworking. I essentially bought myself an 8 year vacation. But learning from others, I also learned to say "no" to "opportunities"

I hope you enjoy your retirement.

Thanks. When I was a teenager, my family did a two month summer tour in a 24 foot Winnebago. I really enjoyed it and would do it again, but my wife is strongly anti-RV, and really wants a lake house. I'm a little reluctant to take on something that will require too much maintenance, I'll be at least 70 at that point. Maybe we could buy something a little more modest and head out for a long tour, if nothing else the RV solves the problem of traveling with dogs.

My wife was very anti-RV for a long while. I wanted an RV for years before we got our first one, she looked at me like I had three heads every time I brought it up. Then when Covid hit and we decided to homeschool the kids for the 2020-2021 school year, my condition was that we had to buy an RV so we could travel and make the most of it. Now if anything she's more eager to hit the road than I am, certainly no less eager.

In her case, she was anti-RV because she thought of smaller, lower quality cheap units and didn't understand what RVing could be, and what it could enable. Once she realized how nice an RV could be and what it allowed us to do, that's what ultimately hooked her on it.

But, every situation is different, and it's true that RVing isn't for everyone.

Back