Deferring Marriage and a Family to fly professionally

No, they begin with applying for a marriage license. All marriages are successful until they end.
See, I only view marriages as a success once the good fight is done and the finish line is crossed...and that finish line is laid out in the vows you take on your wedding day. You can have "success-in-the-making" marriages, but the vow "'til death do us part" isn't supposed to be just some nice words.

See, I only view marriages as a success once the good fight is done and the finish line is crossed...and that finish line is laid out in the vows you take on your wedding day. You can have "success-in-the-making" marriages, but the vow "'til death do us part" isn't supposed to be just some nice words.
So a successful marriage is one where everyone dies in the end. Like "The Thing."

Nauga,
still hanging in there

Then there was the guy that worked with my ex.

He had a 5 year plan. He married a Ukrainian lady in her low to mid 20s. 5 years later, they divorced. She got a lump sum payout, no alimony. Then he would get a new one, also low to mid 20s. He did this at least 4 times my ex knew of.
Sounds like he understood the rule of the three Fs. He was just renting.

So a successful marriage is one where everyone dies in the end. Like "The Thing."

Nauga,
still hanging in there

Well, if an unsuccessful marriage is one which ends in divorce, then a successful marriage must be one which ends in death. All marriages end and there are only two possible endings.

Now, I think it’s unreasonable to assume that all marriages which end in death are successful. If @SkyChaser holds a pillow over @2-Bit Speed ’s face tonight, that doesn’t mean the marriage was a success.

Nauga,
still hanging in there
Well, I suppose it sounds morbid, but at least one person has to die...
Well, if an unsuccessful marriage is one which ends in divorce, then a successful marriage must be one which ends in death. All marriages end and there are only two possible endings.

Now, I think it’s unreasonable to assume that all marriages which end in death are successful. If @SkyChaser holds a pillow over @2-Bit Speed ’s face tonight, that doesn’t mean the marriage was a success.
...and of natural or accidental reasons (and "accidentally" holding a pillow over someone's face doesn't count, in case you were wondering. :biggrin: ).

Don't keep us in suspense. Floats, flies, the one the moderators wouldn't appreciate, and what?
Oh! Different genre entirely (high school era), sorry and no correlation.

Your three Fs is a good one though--learned something aviation related on PoA this morning.

I probably shouldn't talk about the two Ts either but what the heck: If it has t* or tires, you're gonna have trouble with it.

Last edited:
That's a very narrow view of success.

That's a very narrow view of success.
Maybe it is - but marriage itself is also "narrow" in the sense that it, too, has a strict definition. Would you say someone had a successful college experience if they dropped out in their fourth semester after failing every midterm? I'm pretty sure for most people, that answer would be no even if they had been getting all As the first three semesters. If you think a couple who received an A+ on their marriage for the first four years and then got an F and divorced in their fifth is successful and not just a dropout with a promising start, that's definitely something you can think. I'm just some internet poster with an opinion, not The Arbitrator of Definitions.

Maybe it is - but marriage itself is also "narrow" in the sense that it, too, has a strict definition. Would you say someone had a successful college experience if they dropped out in their fourth semester after failing every midterm? I'm pretty sure for most people, that answer would be no even if they had been getting all As the first three semesters. If you think a couple who received an A+ on their marriage for the first four years and then got an F and divorced in their fifth is successful and not just a dropout with a promising start, that's definitely something you can think. I'm just some internet poster with an opinion, not The Arbitrator of Definitions.

Please stick with your narrow definition. Whether it works for anyone else doesn’t matter.

Please stick with your narrow definition. Whether it works for anyone else doesn’t matter.
It's definitely not an easy definition or one that makes people feel good, so I get why people want to redefine it or replace it with something else. Or maybe they simply don't get the difference between "successful relationship" and "successful marriage", as it's rather trendy these days to conflate the two. However, I'm pretty used to being considered a stick in the mud about things, so I have no plans or desire to change definitions of things simply because they're not popular opinions. :)

This is exactly how a newlywed should feel.

It's definitely not an easy definition or one that makes people feel good, so I get why people want to redefine it or replace it with something else. Or maybe they simply don't get the difference between "successful relationship" and "successful marriage", as it's rather trendy these days to conflate the two. However, I'm pretty used to being considered a stick in the mud about things, so I have no plans or desire to change definitions of things simply because they're not popular opinions. :)

The problem with ‘success’ as a measure is it’s a ill defined with a lot of variability among individual definitions, not to mention what happens when a non-involved third party applies their own definition to a marriage they aren’t a part of.

A perfect example is the marriage is in name only, for whatever reason. From a legal standpoint, it’s successful. But that is not the criteria my wife and I use if we were to be asked the question. “is your marriage a success?”

This is exactly how a newlywed should feel.
And it is exactly how a person married 5, 10, 15, 20, or 50 years should feel, too. Sure, you probably won't think it's cute anymore when you've spent fifty years reminding your spouse to set the alarm or picking up their socks, but by then, you should have a much deeper connection that won't even be touched by something so superficial. My definition didn't just come from being a newlywed. It's come from an (albeit short) lifetime of observing couples who have been married a long time and who have been through enough crap to have experienced that "do or divorce" moment at least once.

The problem with ‘success’ as a measure is it’s a ill defined with a lot of variability among individual definitions, not to mention what happens when a non-involved third party applies their own definition to a marriage they aren’t a part of.

A perfect example is the marriage is in name only, for whatever reason. From a legal standpoint, it’s successful. But that is not the criteria my wife and I use if we were to be asked the question. “is your marriage a success?”
I agree, partly. There is a difference between a happy marriage and a successful one, though admittedly, a very fine one. However, the "happy marriages" that end up in divorce court after a few years of delirious happiness are still failed marriages, and the marriages where the moments of happiness are few and far between but where the couple chooses to struggle together anyway all the way to the end are still successful ones.

Last edited:
… However, the "happy marriages" that end up in divorce court after a few years of delirious happiness are still failed marriages, and the marriages where the moments of happiness are few and far between but where the couple chooses to struggle together anyway all the way to the end are still successful ones.
Except in the legal sense, I don’t consider divorce to be a failed marriage, nor do I believe suffering to death do us part to be a successful marriage either.

Nor do I consider those happy ‘open marriages’, throuples, and other oddities to be successfule marriages. But a common law marriage can be just as successful as a legally bound marriage.

All this to say it’s really hard for me to define what a success marriage is, even marriages then end in divorce.

And it is exactly how a person married 5, 10, 15, 20, or 50 years should feel, too. Sure, you probably won't think it's cute anymore when you've spent fifty years reminding your spouse to set the alarm or picking up their socks, but by then, you should have a much deeper connection that won't even be touched by something so superficial. My definition didn't just come from being a newlywed. It's come from an (albeit short) lifetime of observing couples who have been married a long time and who have been through enough crap to have experienced that "do or divorce" moment at least once.

I agree, partly. There is a difference between a happy marriage and a successful one, though admittedly, a very fine one. However, the "happy marriages" that end up in divorce court after a few years of delirious happiness are still failed marriages, and the marriages where the moments of happiness are few and far between but where the couple chooses to struggle together anyway all the way to the end are still successful ones.
I could say here that you don't know what you're talking about because you haven't been there yet, and that you'll never know what's actually going on in anyone else's marriage, happy or not, but I won't because I truly do hope that it all works out the way you've planned it.

I could say here that you don't know what you're talking about because you haven't been there yet, and that you'll never know what's actually going on in anyone else's marriage, happy or not, but I won't because I truly do hope that it all works out the way you've planned it.
I have never been in a lot of places yet, so I don't have personal experience, t'is true. Maybe I will come back in twenty years and think I was a naive idiot - but I don't think so. If I do, you are welcome to laugh in my face and say "I told you so". But I truly think that I have a lot less of a chance of having to eat my words in twenty or thirty years than I would if I were at the same point in my life and viewed marriage as something you could consider a success even if it fails.

Back