Technically, if there was a place that had the airports, you could fly 25 legs of 10 nm each and meet the regs.

IMO, people keep mixing up the current reg with previous versions that did require specific leg lengths.

Personally, if I wrote the reg, it WOULD require at least one fairly long (150 - 200 nm) segment.

Technically, if there was a place that had the airports, you could fly 25 legs of 10 nm each and meet the regs.

IMO, people keep mixing up the current reg with previous versions that did require specific leg lengths.

Personally, if I wrote the reg, it WOULD require at least one fairly long (150 - 200 nm) segment.

I agree, from my home airport(s) here in OKC, if you fly west, there are airports about every 15-20 NM along I-40. You could almost comply with the 250 NM XC without getting out of sight of the interstate and barely leaving the traffic pattern of each airport. "Almost" because the airports do get more sparse as you get into the Amarillo area, and they'd probably vector you off the interstate anyway.

But if you were to start up in Tulsa, say RVS, you could follow I-44 SW, then around the north side of the OKC Class C, then join up with I-40. RVS to AMA is 284 NM, and there are 13 airports right next to the interstate along the way.

I imagine this situation is not unique, at least in much of the central US.

If I wrote the reg, it would have a pilotage/DR requirement.

I agree in theory, but at least in this area it would probably end up being a "follow the interstate" flight as discussed above, with little to no actual navigation skills required.

Last edited:
Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.
I'm so grateful for this platform thread, it helped me decide and wrap my commercial XC Country. I love all the users who commented.
I also got a positive response from @foreflight, giving green signal to STOP IN between direct 250NM. Yayyyyy!

Alternatively, I am still waiting for the FAA's response"

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 13
Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.
"YES" WIN WIN WIN, Thank you so so so so much FAA!
This was a GA war like more than a month of grinding of so many different AV folk's interpretation. Finally, the FAA responded

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 36
You do realize you had your answer about 120 posts ago.
It's fine sir, As a student I thought to cross-verify from FAA, So many instructors outside of the internet world denied it and thought I was some sort of crazy newbie and CAN NOT stop before a straight line 250nm for fuel. "Hahaha, I Rocked they shocked.

You could also compare the verbiage of this reg with one that actually requires a nonstop leg distance:
One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations

It took 135 messages and a letter to the FAA to properly interpret an unambiguous rule.

A remarkable feat.

Next maybe we can hit 150 messages confirming whether or not a Boeing 737 qualifies as a part 103 ultralight.

It's fine sir, As a student I thought to cross-verify from FAA, So many instructors outside of the internet world denied it and thought I was some sort of crazy newbie and CAN NOT stop before a straight line 250nm for fuel. "Hahaha, I Rocked they shocked.
Glad it helped . My advice is not to get in the habit of asking the FAA for anything except as a last resort.

Last edited:
It took 135 messages and a letter to the FAA to properly interpret an unambiguous rule.

A remarkable feat.

Next maybe we can hit 150 messages confirming whether or not a Boeing 737 qualifies as a part 103 ultralight.
I completely agree with you sir, I just wanna prove to my WRONG SAYING Newbie instructors that they are wrong that I CAN NOT stop b/w 250nm, But they were arguing with me for legal proof.

It's a disaster when an instructor is not on the same page. "Imagine flying underhood"

I didn't read all of the relies but I literally just completed my long cross country commercial flight in my C150 a week ago. I picked a day that favored the winds. I had some 20+ knot tailwind the morning I departed. it was a non issue with the fuel. on the return the winds were almost calm and I made it home ok after a fuel stop.

Back