Cessna vs.Piper

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Kent's recent post on Elipse and avidyne made me wonder about piper and cessna. According to the numbers Posted in the Thread Cessna is far outselling Piper my question is WHY? Serious question here. I understand everyone has preferences high wing vs. low wing etc. But fact is they both fly and fly well. both have pros and cons both are safe and have about the same general flight qualities. Its probably like asking why does chevey sell more than ford but I'm just curious.

So why does Cessna sell more is it just better marketing, investments, Advertising? does Cessna make it easier to finance the purchase of a new plane?

My guess would be Cessna made a wise push into the flight training schools, and people often buy what they have learned in. A Cessna flight school is also under some obligation to buy a new one on a regular basis

My guess would be Cessna made a wise push into the flight training schools, and people often buy what they have learned in. A Cessna flight school is also under some obligation to buy a new one on a regular basis

Once a year. Too much, IMHO. I know of at least one Cessna Pilot Center that is no longer a CPC because of that requirement.

You're right, though, people buy what they know, and what their instructors know. That's why Cessna sells lots of planes, and why Cirrus and Diamond are all too happy to let CFI's take a free ride and pay them for any students that get referred and buy a plane.

Once a year. Too much, IMHO. I know of at least one Cessna Pilot Center that is no longer a CPC because of that requirement.

You're right, though, people buy what they know, and what their instructors know. That's why Cessna sells lots of planes, and why Cirrus and Diamond are all too happy to let CFI's take a free ride and pay them for any students that get referred and buy a plane.

I know part of the reason my school ended Cessna Pilot Center affiliation, after many many years, was because of this requirement. This was an FBO with about a 50 year long relationship with Cessna too in sales, maintenance, and training.

Right or wrong, I think Piper has made a strategic decision to focus on the bigger iron from the Meridian to the twins right on up to the Piper Jet. The margin on these planes are much greater than the Warrior or Archer, which have become essentially flight school products only. I don't see many people buying a new Archer for their personal use. They are more likely to buy a 182, Diamond or Cirrus.

Last edited:
Kent's recent post on Elipse and avidyne made me wonder about piper and cessna. According to the numbers Posted in the Thread Cessna is far outselling Piper my question is WHY? Serious question here. I understand everyone has preferences high wing vs. low wing etc. But fact is they both fly and fly well. both have pros and cons both are safe and have about the same general flight qualities. Its probably like asking why does chevey sell more than ford but I'm just curious.

So why does Cessna sell more is it just better marketing, investments, Advertising? does Cessna make it easier to finance the purchase of a new plane?

Cessna is a much larger company and has a lot more marketing muscle. They've been the de facto standard in small airplanes for a looong time. There's a reason that every news report of an accident calls every small plane a Cessna!

As Dwight noted, Cessna still pushes their products on flight schools pretty heavily. Because they're so ubiquitous, people don't hesitate to buy one and throw it on leaseback at their local flight school. A C172 at a flight school is pretty much guaranteed to fly a fair amount. They're easy to sell on the used market.

As far as the airplanes themselves, the 172's have about 20 more pounds of payload with full fuel, and they're a lot cheaper than a comparable Archer. Looking back at my notes from about a year ago, for similarly equipped airplanes, for steam gauges a 172 will cost $77,700 less than an Archer, and for glass panel a 172 will cost $40,150 less than an Archer.

If you look at what kind of glass panels are used - Well, when there's a choice people choose Garmin over Avidyne. Neither Cessna nor Piper offers a choice, but Cessna uses Garmin and Piper uses Avidyne. Piper pretty much has put themselves in a situation where they're competing with Cirrus in this area. Who's gonna buy a Piper? If you had the choice between a new Archer and a slightly-used SR20 for the same price, which would you choose?

I still say, Piper is practically dead. They won't go out of business any time soon, but they're no longer a dominant player in the market. Look at every category of airplanes they make, and someone else makes a better airplane. For piston singles, DA40 beats a Warrior or Archer. Piston twins, DA42 beats the Seminole hands down, and the Seneca in most cases as well. Turbine singles, Pilatus or TBM over the Meridian. This is one of their stronger areas, though, as I believe the Meridian is somewhat smaller and cheaper. For VLJ's/PJ's, Piper is so late to the party they'd have to do something very different and innovative to make inroads in the market, and the PiperJet is just not that different or innovative, IMHO.

There are a couple of areas where Piper isn't doing so bad - As noted, the Meridian has its niche. The Arrow is about the only complex trainer that anyone will insure any more, but the flight schools are still going for Arrow III's, not new Arrow V's - Piper sold only 5 Arrows last year. One of their real strengths is in the 6-seat single market. The Saratoga is a nice plane and I think it's significantly cheaper than a new Bo. The 6X is the only fixed-gear (read: easily insurable) six-place single on the market. Piper sold 68 of their six-seat singles last year, compared to only 53 of the four-seaters.

I'd really like to see Piper do a few things. First, come up with a new piston single or two... Something to compete with Cirrus and the Cessna NGP. They need to do something with the higher-performance singles too, or Diamond's upcoming DA50 Super Star may take a lot of wind out of their sails. Finally, they should update the Cub and bring it back for the LSA market. CubCrafters' Sport Cub is a great example of what could be done, but I bet if Piper really wanted to they could do even better.

:D Kent,
When DeltaHawk has a 6V 300HP diesel, with much better fuel economy than the Lycoming 540, and that can be put into the Saratoga with the 100+ gallon fuel capacity; the Saratoga would be be a really long range cruiser. Better add a toilet too.:D

It's because Cessna is a better airplane than Piper. Simple.

You can say all you want about it being a personal preference, and about all the big cheese marketing strategy, and all those incidental factors, but when the wheels hit the runway, Cessna does it better.

You can say all you want about it being a personal preference, and about all the big cheese marketing strategy, and all those incidental factors, but when the wheels hit the runway, Cessna does it better.

You're joking right? What's so much better about a Cessna than any other GA airplane? "Cessna does it better.".....how? Faster, carries more, more range, better construction?

You're joking right? What's so much better about a Cessna than any other GA airplane? "Cessna does it better.".....how? Faster, carries more, more range, better construction?
You're joking, right? Because they have the wings in the correct place, of course...

The stats go that way because once any small plane gets sold and flys, it becomes a Cessna.

But when it crashes it mysteriously turns into a Cirrus :D

Pete

Awesome - I'm always a fan of empty talk with nothing behind it.

How so? Frankly, all else being equal, I'd rather fly an Archer over a 172 any day of the week.

Comparison time:

Payload: Cessna is better by about 20 pounds, but that's partially because they hold 48 pounds less fuel. Piper also has tabs, which give you easy flexibility. Fuel the Archer to the tabs, then add six gallons to equal the fuel load of the Cessna so you have basically the same range, and the Piper wins by 27 pounds. But, you still have the flexibility of trading payload for range. Advantage, Piper.

Speed: Probably a wash, though the fastest Archer I've flown was faster than the fastest 172 I've flown.

Range: Advantage, Piper. That extra almost-hour of fuel does get you somewhere.

Ground Handling: Advantage, Piper. Bungees SUCK.

Airborne handling: Advantage, Piper. Why? They slip better IME, they stall a lot "nicer," they seem to be a little sportier in control feel, and they're WAY easier to land.

Comfort: Advantage, Cessna. I get uncomfortable after sitting basically on the floor for an hour and a half in the Piper.

Ease of entry: Advantage, Cessna. Two doors are better than one.

Glass: Advantage, Cessna. Avidyne sucks.

Hmmm. Piper 4, Cessna 3. Cessna is not the winner so far, and certainly not a clear winner.

Now, all that said... Cessna scored big with the 182. I'd rather fly an Archer than a 172, and I'd rather fly a Cherokee Six than a 206, but Piper never made anything like the 182. Saying the Dakota or Cherokee 235 is like the 182 is like saying the 182 is nothing more than a 172 with a big engine. WRONG. The 182 hauls a load and goes faster like the Dakota does, but it is WAY more comfortable and has more room inside. So, it certainly isn't so cut and dried when you compare more than just one model of airplane from each manufacturer. I love the heck out of the 182, and I fly one all over creation. I simply disagree with the assertion that Cessna is that much better than Piper.

Insert Grumman comment here...

Well I notice your brought Grummans up, not me. I was perfectly happy comparing Cessnas and Pipers. But if you insist, let the Grumman thread creep begin! Guess they are just so good, people can't help themselves. :yes:

As Dwight noted, Cessna still pushes their products on flight schools pretty heavily. Because they're so ubiquitous, people don't hesitate to buy one and throw it on leaseback at their local flight school. A C172 at a flight school is pretty much guaranteed to fly a fair amount. They're easy to sell on the used market.

Some of you may recall that it was Piper's attempt to push into the training market that killed the "Old" Piper. In the late '80's they started selling a stripped-down version of the Warrior, called the Cadet, at a low price to training schools. It was a great move: Cessna wasn't producing new piston aircraft at the time and the existing crop of modern trainers were just getting tenuously off the ground. Piper booked orders for hundreds of Cadets. Trouble was it was too much of a good thing - Piper had priced the Cadet below manufacturing cost and ran out of money, declaring bancrupcy in 1991. New Piper was born out of the ashes in '95.

New Piper (who dropped the "New" last year) has clearly focussed on high-margin aircraft. They've tweaked the old designs to give them sex appeal and keep them selling. The upcoming jet is the first new airframe that will have come out of Piper, either New or Old, since the Malibu in '83. That's 24 years in case anyone's counting.

Regards,
Joe

Comparison time:

Now, all that said... Cessna scored big with the 182. I'd rather fly an Archer than a 172, and I'd rather fly a Cherokee Six than a 206, but Piper never made anything like the 182.

So...you like low wings, I do too and I don't even fly one.

Back to the question of the OP; most Cessnas can easily go on floats, skiis, and into rough fields (i.e. one with big bushes on the side). This is a factor in the resale of planes on the west coast, Alaska, and internationally. The price of unloading a plane is a factor when buying a new plane.

Piper made the ultimate high wing, the Cub, but too often any discussion of Piper vs. Cessna turns aroung the high wing, low wing preference. Why Piper doesn't currently build the Cub is something that baffles me.

As far as the Tiger........... Awesome plane to take a couple of people on a trip. Quick, great baggage room (assuming two people), and responsive; however, not a short field people/freight hauler. Fairly limited mission profile and that probably is reflected in the number sold over the years. They do seem to hold their price well.

Chris

Edit: Kent I just looked at your Avatar, you should know better (laughing). The Cessna (or Cub) wing is not on top just because it looks ugly!

Last edited:
So...you like low wings,

No... I just like wings. :yes: :blueplane:

I mostly prefer Piper to Cessna due to much better ground handling, quadrant instead of push-pull engine controls, and they're easier to land too.

Frankly, I think the high/low wing debate is pretty stupid. Who cares? It flies. I honestly can't say I've ever flown any plane that I didn't like *something* about. I love airplanes, period - High wing, low wing, mid-wing, and I bet I'd like them fling-wings too. :yes:

I must say, though, there is one VERY good reason to fly a high wing:

7thDayCessna.jpg

:)

As far as the Tiger........... Awesome plane to take a couple of people on a trip. Quick, great baggage room (assuming two people), and responsive; however, not a short field people/freight hauler. Fairly limited mission profile and that probably is reflected in the number sold over the years. They do seem to hold their price well.

Well it depends on what you mean by short field and the ability to haul people/freight. My 1978 Tiger has a Usefull load of 961 lbs. Even with full fuel (51 gals) that's 655 lbs left for people bags. Want more? Fuel to the tabs (38 gals and still close to a 4 hour fuel endurance) you have 733 lbs remaining payload. That's good for either four people or three and bags. With the back seats folded you can fit two bikes or a bunch of baggage, plus two people can sleep back there. Yes, you don't need a tent like a Cessna, you can camp IN THE PLANE!

Yes the Tiger needs more runway, but 2,300 ft will do fine even at gross and I don't see too many fields smaller than that in my travels unless your bush flying.

And yet the Tiger is out of production. Again. :dunno:

Build a better mousetrap and, well, file Chapter 11.

I think it is a question of management. The differences between Piper and Cessna are small enough that it's more of an intangible thing.

No... I just like wings. :yes: :blueplane:

I mostly prefer Piper to Cessna due to much better ground handling, quadrant instead of push-pull engine controls, and they're easier to land too.

Frankly, I think the high/low wing debate is pretty stupid. Who cares? It flies. I honestly can't say I've ever flown any plane that I didn't like *something* about. I love airplanes, period - High wing, low wing, mid-wing, and I bet I'd like them fling-wings too. :yes:

I must say, though, there is one VERY good reason to fly a high wing:

7thDayCessna.jpg

:)

That is a plus! Of course Bonanza owners just stand under the tail. :)

Back