A little too close...

From the article:
The guy showed me the traces of the tire on his hand afterwards

And one of the comments was something like:
He had two skid marks to show. One on his hand and the other in his shorts!

I vote crazy. Flower shorts? Only a crazy person would wear those. ;)

If he had been hit, the pilot, the plane manufacturer, the A&P, the airport, the CFI, everyone except the idiot photographer, would be at fault.

Tourist guy should never have been a factor. The plane was too low, too flat on approach. Pilot boy isn't very impressive.

Plane was definitely too low -- assuming it really happened, and the clip wasn't faked. Hard to believe anyone would be stupid enough to stand there with a plane coming straight at him. If I had to choose I'd vote hoax.

That's St. Barts. It's a really crazy approach with a short runway, but this guy is nut's...:eek:

You're not allowed to land there without a checkout and signoff...:eek::eek::eek:

That's St. Barts. It's a really crazy approach with a short runway, but this guy is nut's...:eek:

You're not allowed to land there without a checkout and signoff...:eek::eek::eek:

Don't confuse the morons above with facts!

Guy with the camera. That's a normal approach in there.

Looks like a tough approach, worthy of a Space Shuttle descent.

Cockpit view from an Aztec that made it:

Outside view of an Aztec that didn't (and discovered that water is largely incompressible):

Last edited:
An airplane hit a taxi cab there once. As of about 15 years ago that cab was still in service with the dent in the roof unrepaired. Or so the story goes.

I bet you could easily land the other way on that runway. Over the water with no obstructions, you could be very low and the runway is now uphill. Unless it is a raging onshore breeze - and I think I saw a limp windsock on one of those vids. Ya, makes go-around impossible but I wonder if there would be a lower overall accident rate at the field.

Guy with the camera. That's a normal approach in there.
Watch the video again. He came within inches of clipping the sign.

I've seen plenty of videos of planes making that approach successfully while keeping a safe clearance from the road.

I know it's St. Barts; I know you have to cross the road low; but there is low, and then there is unsafe. That pilot had no outs in case of an unexpected downdraft.

It 2100' X 59' . For comparison, a local 2600' runway is 36' wide. Coming in over a hill, that sight has gotta play with your head a bit. I'd want a couple of practice laps before I committed to putting rubber on pavement.

Watching that Aztec driver was painful!

Last edited:
He's a bit low but nothing out of the normal.

I bet you could easily land the other way on that runway. Over the water with no obstructions, you could be very low and the runway is now uphill. Unless it is a raging onshore breeze - and I think I saw a limp windsock on one of those vids. Ya, makes go-around impossible but I wonder if there would be a lower overall accident rate at the field.

They only do over water landings when the winds favor it. The lack of a go around after passing the point makes the hill approach a lot safer. It's a hoot of a landing. It almost beats the runway at nearby island of Saba.

You use to be able to walk on the runway via access along the beach. However, after a guy got hit a few years ago they added a fence across the beach in late 2014. At least the local government had taste and only built a waist high beach style fence.

Has anyone on this board actually landed there?

Back