2024 PPL written test

You took at test with questions from a bank of 8000 questions. Maybe you would have rather had a test that lasted 8 hours with 240 questions so your effort wasn’t wasted.

The discussion was about the distribution of topics tested, not the overall quantity of questions.

The discussion was about the distribution of topics tested, not the overall quantity of questions.
It’s not a Written Topic Test. The 60 question / 2 hour test prohibits a representative distribution of all the knowledge involved with the various handbooks, ACs, chart supplements, charts, FAR/AIM and operational procedures. The result is the applicant has to study a wide variety of knowledge.

Honestly the written test is nothing but a fool/non-serious dilettante filter. The fact that it is multiple choice, only 60 questions, asks things that any sane person would lookup, etc is proof of that. Its main worth is making most of us students go through some sort of ground school instruction and become familiar with some of the books and what they contain so we know where to go for learning and to answer specific questions. By the time you go to take the test both the student and the FAA have already gotten most of the value out of the exercise.

To actually test something like pilotage on a written test would need teaching staff to grade essay answers which is more time consuming and introduces lots of subjectivity. Asking what an underlined radio frequency inside a flight service box on the VFR chart means is pedantic and doesn't prove you can plan a flight route whatsoever. The first few times you flip to the appendix or instructions that clearly tell you what it means - something anyone can do at their own leisure.

The system depends on your CFI, DPE, and personal responsibility to determine if you are capable of being a pilot. If you want to play Maverick no amount of multiple choice written testing is going to help you.

@xenadu I realize it is only your first post but in time you will come to understand that it is OK to let your true feelings show; no need for sugar coating here. :biggrin:

Seriously though, a great first post.

Asking what an underlined radio frequency inside a flight service box on the VFR chart means is pedantic and doesn't prove you can plan a flight route whatsoever.
It is a demonstration of being able to read and interpret the chart legend, which is provided to you on the test. And knowing whether a frequency can be used to talk to FSS might be important someday. Just because you can't imagine why, doesn't mean it's pedantic.

It is a demonstration of being able to read and interpret the chart legend, which is provided to you on the test. And knowing whether a frequency can be used to talk to FSS might be important someday. Just because you can't imagine why, doesn't mean it's pedantic.

I don't think you understood me. Reading a chart legend is exactly the sort of really really basic thing the test is screening for.

My point was very deliberately NOT saying anything about talking to FSS or whether that is useful or not useful. My point is that the chart supplement and chart user guide explains this very basic information to you so it isn't worth much to test if someone memorized what the underline means - they can always look that up.

I think FSS is useful. Basically I am saying the test doesn't prove much and some people will always just cram cliffs notes for a test like that. The fact that a test exists at all and will get some people to actually read the AIM/etc means the test did its job. The test only needs to be scored because some people wouldn't bother to study, read any of the FAA manuals, etc if the test weren't scored or didn't exist.

My point is that the chart supplement and chart user guide explains this very basic information to you so it isn't worth much to test if someone memorized what the underline means - they can always look that up.
I think you misunderstood me. The question is not testing your memorization, since you do not have to memorize anything to answer it. I understand the spirit of your post, but the example you chose does not apply.

Last edited:
Back