Pocket knife: Weird or normal?

Is it weird or normal to regularly carry a 3-4" pocket knife or Swiss army knife?

• Weird

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 69 83.1%
  • A plain pocket knife is normal, but only nerds carry Swiss army knives outside the Swiss army

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters
These are always in my pocket. The key is to the mail box 10 miles down the road.
One or all used every day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
This is my EDC. Buck Ranger Slim Select. Weighs 2.5oz. Plenty sharp. Made in USA. Buck lifetime warranty. Cost under $40 (I paid $29 for mine) so if you lose it, it isn't the end of the world.
1715687140421.png

Now I want to buy another knife. I don’t need one, I already have a good EDC and a handful of old Scrade two-blade knives. I pretty much just carry what I don’t mind losing. But I haven’t lost a knife to a security checkpoint in so long, maybe it’s OK to get a different EDC just because.

1715693855666.png

I carried a buck knife with me all while I was a paramedic. Swiss Army knife (super tinker model) at other times.

For many years I have carried a Swiss Army "Spartan" because it is cheap, compact, and includes a corkscrew, bottle opener, and can opener among other tools.

This is my EDC. Buck Ranger Slim Select. Weighs 2.5oz. Plenty sharp. Made in USA. Buck lifetime warranty. Cost under $40 (I paid $29 for mine) so if you lose it, it isn't the end of the world.
View attachment 128765

I like that. I need to find something smaller for EDC. Currently lugging around a Gerber Custom Sedulo - had to do 'custom' to get it US made. It's nice, but a bit bulky (and pricey).

I like that. I need to find something smaller for EDC. Currently lugging around a Gerber Custom Sedulo - had to do 'custom' to get it US made. It's nice, but a bit bulky (and pricey).
My only complaint is the pocket clip is bigger than it needs to be. I may just take mine off I don't use it anyway.

If I had time, I’d make my “perfect” pocket knife.

But I’ve got too many projects like that already.

I have a neat little Opinel Folder I keep in the pencil jar on my desk that I use more often than anything else. My kicking around the hangar knife is a cheapo buckknife w/box cutter blade combo that came from Lowes or something.

One of the more unusual knives I have is a folding chef's knife.

The oddest one was when I was clearing a clog out of the condensate line on my heat pump. I was fishing the tubing back inside the enclosure and felt something loose way in the back. I came out with a buck knife. It wasn't one of mine. A previous installer/tech must of dropped it and couldn't find it or wasn't able to figure out how to retrieve it.

Anyone carry an automatic? The ones I have are basically toys as the opening mechanisms aren’t dependable enough, but I’d be interested to learn of others’ experiences, especially with high-end ones.

I have a Benchmade CLA and I love it. Pricy, but you get what you pay for. I also sent a knife back to Benchmade that had been run over by a snow plow and they sent me what appeared to be a brand new knife back. Customer for life after that.

As another endorsement for the CLA, I bought one for a friend for his 50th birthday and he says its his favorite knife he’s ever owned.

Speaking of knives, there's a new multi-tool out that looks very, very promising, that does NOT have a blade and should be fully TSA-compliant for those of us that would like to carry something rather than nothing when we have to travel by airliner. I would have loved to have had this option on a couple of ferry flights I can remember back in the day when I was travelling light and couldn't pack much of anything.

It is an Amazon associates link, but here you are: https://amzn.to/3UYuqFI

Speaking of knives, there's a new multi-tool out that looks very, very promising, that does NOT have a blade and should be fully TSA-compliant for those of us that would like to carry something rather than nothing when we have to travel by airliner. I would have loved to have had this option on a couple of ferry flights I can remember back in the day when I was travelling light and couldn't pack much of anything.

It is an Amazon associates link, but here you are: https://amzn.to/3UYuqFI
Gotta had that SIM extractor... but the phillips screwdriver looks a bit odd... :confused2:

1715775364595.png

Rather carry a knife and not need it, than need a knife and not have it.

Back