WTF, over? (Video of a bad landing and go around)

Looks like he touched down way too fast. Almost flat, no flare at all. The high winds (see the windsock) didn't help either.

Wow not sure I've ever seen anyone manage to PIO this badly while the main wheels were still firmly on the ground. Flapping the elevator like mad.

And they say RV Nose gear is weak... :lol:
Not "weak", just has limited ability to roll over rough bumps and holes on a grass strip without pole-vaulting the airplane.

Then how do you explain the "climb out"?
OMG yeah, I didn't watch the whole video.
Um, that was bad. Easy landing to save at multiple points and then why did he just fly away?

Amazed it didn't end up badly with as many bounces from the PIO as they had. Almost certainly had too much power left in, with likely a stiff headwind. Plane still wanted to fly with the little bit of power left in.

Amazed it didn't end up badly with as many bounces from the PIO as they had. Almost certainly had too much power left in, with likely a stiff headwind. Plane still wanted to fly with the little bit of power left in.
I wonder if he was flying by perceived speed, instead of using the airspeed indicator.

Should pilot have retracted flaps immediately at touchdown to reduce lift and bouncing? Dangerously low climb out. Does an rv9 require flaps during takeoff?

Looks like he had 10 flaps in. In my 9, if you have an extra 200 rpm it’ll stay in ground effect and not land. Especially if you don’t have all the flaps in. Terrible technique. Most of us 9A people never touch the nose wheel down until you have to let it settle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s best not to flare these planes. Landings are smoothest when you fly them into the runway. Touchdown for me is usually 10 knots above stall speed.

Looks like he had 10 flaps in. In my 9, if you have an extra 200 rpm it’ll stay in ground effect and not land. Especially if you don’t have all the flaps in. Terrible technique. Most of us 9A people never touch the nose wheel down until you have to let it settle.

Looks more than 10* to me. Too much energy in any RV is a recipe for float or in this guy's case enough for that bump to make him airborne which coupled with poor technique turned into a PIO.

Typically too flat. Nose wheel should be much higher.

Half-arsed landing followed by half-arsed go-around. Really, once you have a bounce like that either close the throttle and ride it out or put the power to it, assume climb attitude and go around again. Trying to modulate a bad landing is just going to end up with more dynamics in your PIO.

I had to really get my wife not to half-arse the go arounds. Shove all the knobs in, positive rate, gear up....

Maybe the throttle was stuck. It looks like the same power setting was used for the landing and the go-around.

It’s best not to flare these planes. Landings are smoothest when you fly them into the runway. Touchdown for me is usually 10 knots above stall speed.

In my -8A, I flare every landing and touchdown is at stall speed, no bounce. Short final is right around 63 knots.

Should pilot have retracted flaps immediately at touchdown to reduce lift and bouncing? Dangerously low climb out. Does an rv9 require flaps during takeoff?
No and no. He should have carried less speed and power, kept the nose higher (bring it to critical AOA in the flare) and not reconfigure until at taxi speed. RVs use so little runway that there is no need to dump flaps.

If I recall correctly, I believe that one was caused by the pilot having a medical problem.
I did find this just now in the comment section of the you tube video:

OK, here is the real story behind the accident.

The Pilot, Mr. Daryl Dyer, the owner - operator of the Fisher Celebrity, was an
experienced pilot, aged 60, who was flying to the airshow. He had been under
treatment for a condition the nature of which I have not been able to ascertain,
but it involved his being prescribed, and taking, at least two prescription
medications. These two medications, it has been reported, can result in
neurological issues. In addition, he had undergone a PET Scan two days earlier,
and had been administered appx 1 litre of a mild radioactive fluid that acts as
a tracer for the PET Scan.

He came in for the landing, and, in his own words, " .... when I was about ten
feet from the ground, my brain shut down, it refused to make any more decisions,
leaving me to be a passenger waiting for the crash......"

He suffered only minor injuries, but his pilot's medical certificate was suspended
for six months. He has since repaired the aircraft, and resumed flying it.

That was painful to watch. I kept thinking… flair…brake … brake

How in the heck did they have that much excess energy after coming in for the break? I summarily dismiss them from the Van's Air Force. Good day sir. I said good day!

Last edited:
Of course we cannot forget this hall of fame classic! Got to love how the guy reaches back to grab the GoPro!

Last edited:
Back