Amtrak service temporarily disrupted between Baltimore and Philadelphia

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I may need (should) to go to a funeral service in the NorthEast this weekend. But the weather looks pretty iffy, and I need to be back by Monday.
I thought about taking Amtrak. I always thought that would be fun. But all train travel between Baltimore and Philadelphia is cancelled and they have no alternative routes. No explanation other than a police investigation.
I googled it. This is all I could find:
(WBFF) — Amtrak service between Baltimore and Philadelphia is temporarily suspended due to a trespasser in Wilmington, DE.

Local authorities are investigating the area, according to Amtrak.
Anyone know what is going on?

I may need (should) to go to a funeral service in the NorthEast this weekend. But the weather looks pretty iffy, and I need to be back by Monday.
I thought about taking Amtrak. I always thought that would be fun. But all train travel between Baltimore and Philadelphia is cancelled and they have no alternative routes. No explanation other than a police investigation.
I googled it. This is all I could find:

Anyone know what is going on?
I'm sure it will resume before the weekend. Go ahead and book a ticket.

"Trespasser" == Someone unauthorized on the tracks; They stopped train traffic to protect the Amtrak Police while they investigate.

Why not fly?

"Trespasser" == Someone unauthorized on the tracks; They stopped train traffic to protect the Amtrak Police while they investigate.

Why not fly?
Not IFR current, so as much as we HATE flying commercial, that is probably what we will do. We have to be back on Monday AM. Weather looks crappy all weekend.

Airlines? Why not drive? It's only 2 hours from Baltimore to Philly.

Airlines? Why not drive? It's only 2 hours from Baltimore to Philly.

Well, Baltimore to Philly is only that, but going from DC to NYC takes the same route and is affected by this and this is one of the few places where AMTRAK is a net win over flying. Downtown to downtown in less time than it takes getting to/from the airport on both ends. Used to regularly go from Wilmington to Wall Street (switching AMTRAK at either Penn Station in NY or Penn Station in Newark).

Used to use that segment a lot when I lived near New Brunswick, NJ and my RU staff parking permit let me park a couple of blocks from the station there.

Well, Baltimore to Philly is only that, but going from DC to NYC takes the same route and is affected by this and this is one of the few places where AMTRAK is a net win over flying. Downtown to downtown in less time than it takes getting to/from the airport on both ends. Used to regularly go from Wilmington to Wall Street (switching AMTRAK at either Penn Station in NY or Penn Station in Newark).

Used to use that segment a lot when I lived near New Brunswick, NJ and my RU staff parking permit let me park a couple of blocks from the station there.
I just realized OP never revealed his specific origin and destination. Looked at his profile and noted that he's from Florida. If he's taking Amtrak from Florida to the northeast, he needs to be prepared for the potential of significant delays south of DC as tracks are shared by CSX and passenger trains can get delayed by many hours. Airline is probably the cheapest and easiest travel option.

Yep, there are fairly few passenger lines that work well in the US. The DC-NY corridor is pretty much the only one. Of course, that's until some Conrail guys are smoking pot rather than paying attention to what they are doing (the site of that crash was in our volunteer fire department's first due area).

Back