GPS Direct to fix, homing vs track

He's not going to say "resume own navigation".

When you request the deviation, he'll say, "[left/right] deviations approved, direct [FIXXB] when able (and advise)"
Maybe not for weather, but I've gotten it for traffic vectors, as have others.

How about a slightly different situation in the same vein: you're flying from FIXXA to FIXXB and vectored off course for a bit for weather, traffic, whatever. Then the controller comes back with just "resume own navigation". Do you rejoin your original course or go direct from present position to FIXXB? In the ancient world of VORs you'd probably need to rejoin a known radial to get back on course but in the modern GPS world it could always be a direct-to.
I would choose something reasonable and tell the controller what I was doing. BTDT.

He's not going to say "resume own navigation".

When you request the deviation, he'll say, "[left/right] deviations approved, direct [FIXXB] when able (and advise)"
I agree with you for a requested deviation.

The poster said VECTORED off course. In that case, I would expect either a Resume Own Nav or a Direct to the Next fix.

For Resume, I would see how far I was from the next fix and decide whether it makes sense to rejoin my previous track or go direct.

For Resume, I would see how far I was from the next fix and decide whether it makes sense to rejoin my previous track or go direct.
I’d also compare my last assigned heading and my distance off my previous track.

I agree with you for a requested deviation.

The poster said VECTORED off course. In that case, I would expect either a Resume Own Nav or a Direct to the Next fix.
If you are IFR, they aren't going to give you a non-specific, "Resume own navigation " if you are off your filed course. They are going to give you some specific way to get back on course, either direct to a fix (usually) or a heading to re-join the airway/route (less often).

If you are IFR, they aren't going to give you a non-specific, "Resume own navigation " if you are off your filed course. They are going to give you some specific way to get back on course, either direct to a fix (usually) or a heading to re-join the airway/route (less often).
Yeah. They are 'supposed to' and usually do. @Rheo was what-iffing if they don't and gave an example of it happening.

Yeah. They are 'supposed to' and usually do. @Rheo was what-iffing if they don't and gave an example of it happening.
You do the same thing you do anytime ATC gives you a clearance that doesn't make sense. "Resume own nav" makes no sense in an IFR context. They certainly never give it to us. Maybe they're confusing a GA airplane's flight plan type and thinking he's VFR?

I skipped the last half of the responses above.

My instructor taught me that it is necessary to always fly what you have filed/agreed with ATC to fly, accurately, regardless of how hard it is.

That is the only way you can prepare for the flight that you must fly exactly right, in even worse conditions.

That way, you reduce the possibility that you become a statistic of flying into weather that is flyable, but you do not succeed.

Every year I flew, I agreed with him more, and flying precisely became easier.

Technically correct or not, I have gotten non-specific “resume own navigation” without a fix or heading to rejoin. That’s why I have a SOP to inform them what fix or heading I will use to rejoin. Most of the time I choose a fix along the cleared route.

What do I choose? Situational awareness tells me.

Amazing how sometimes people spend more time arguing about why something should or shouldn’t be done than it takes to learn to do it. ;)
I think it is a difference in attitude. It’s always a mix, and rarely extreme, but some people lean a bit more toward finding problems (“you can’t do that”). Others lean more toward solutions. Definitely not limited to aviation.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve received “left or right deviation approved, let me know when you’re back on course”.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve received “left or right deviation approved, let me know when you’re back on course”.
That is a different situation than being vectored off.

And I typically get, "deviation approved (whatever I asked for) and report when direct XX."

Back on course would be back on your original course line.

That is a different situation than being vectored off.

And I typically get, "deviation approved (whatever I asked for) and report when direct XX."

Back on course would be back on your original course line.
I have received the report when direct as well. I think the takeaway is absent clear instructions ask before doing.

Last edited:
To me, "resume own navigation" or something similarly non specific means "there's nothing for you to hit, so resume your course however you see fit". If it mattered to the controller whether you flew direct from your new position or quickly returned to your original course, they would've told you which they wanted. I use the "direct to" key to my next waypoint. If I was originally on a long airway id use a 30*or so angle to re-intercept it. In the Midwest 90% of my flying is direct.

To me, "resume own navigation" or something similarly non specific means "there's nothing for you to hit, so resume your course however you see fit". If it mattered to the controller whether you flew direct from your new position or quickly returned to your original course, they would've told you which they wanted. I use the "direct to" key to my next waypoint. If I was originally on a long airway id use a 30*or so angle to re-intercept it. In the Midwest 90% of my flying is direct.
You should not have to make that decision. It is an incorrect clearance from the Controller. Resume Own Navigation is not meant to be a standalone instruction. It comes after being told what to do. Like ‘fly heading ###, join V##, resume own navigation.’ What you should do is……
AIM 5-5-2 a. 3.
3. Requests clarification or amendment, as appropriate, any time a clearance is not fully understood or considered unacceptable from a safety standpoint.

It may be incorrect, but it doesn't bother me in the least, and I have better things to do than annoy or argue with controllers. It's not like I'm going to "fix" them even if I wanted to. I neither don't "fully understand" nor consider it unacceptable.

It may be incorrect, but it doesn't bother me in the least, and I have better things to do than annoy or argue with controllers. It's not like I'm going to "fix" them even if I wanted to. I neither don't "fully understand" nor consider it unacceptable.
?? It has nothing to do with arguing with or fixing Controllers. It’s about you having a clear and unambiguous clearance.

It is clear and unambiguous: "Go to the next fix you're cleared to, i don't care how".

Back