Toddler "Airplane" Seat

Joe Thorstenson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JoeCT400123!
Hi all, apologize if this is in the wrong forum at POA, but my daughter who is just past 2 loves GA flying, and just crossed her 50th flight this weekend. However, she is growing out of her existing car seat. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Welcome to PoA!

Maybe a CARES harness until she's big enough for a booster seat?

I just used a forward facing car seat. Then a booster seat until he grew out of it. The bonus was it elevated him a bit so he could see out of the window.

I just used a forward facing car seat. Then a booster seat until he grew out of it. The bonus was it elevated him a bit so he could see out of the window.
This - except I don't believe boosters are FAA approved - where as car seats are. but i might be mixing 135 vs 91.

This - except I don't believe boosters are FAA approved - where as car seats are. but i might be mixing 135 vs 91.
It doesn't matter in part 91. But I just used cushions or a seat bottom booster. I'm not sure the reasons for using a full booster seat in a car really translate to a small plane.

It doesn't matter in part 91. But I just used cushions or a seat bottom booster. I'm not sure the reasons for using a full booster seat in a car really translate to a small plane.
It may not matter, but they’re specifically noted in 91.107
(4) Except as provided in § 91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)(3)(iii) and § 91.107(a)(3)(iii)(B)(3)(iv), booster-type child restraint systems (as defined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 (49 CFR 571.213)), vest- and harness-type child restraint systems, and lap held child restraints are not approved for use in aircraft; and

Last edited:
CARES harness, as mentioned above. Works for airlines too. Used one for both my boys.

Back