Did FLYING Magazine give away the airplanes or what?

I followed one for a little while on flight radar or something like that just to see what real worlds were and it was getting up and moving at 9000 feet and above. So nice inside too
Tecnam has been putting out some really interesting stuff. I think they look pretty sleek both inside and out.

The drawing was to be on or about April 9 and the winner notified within 3 days.
If you haven't been notified then it's probably safe to assume you aren't a winner.

Nauga,
who is absolutely certain he is not a winner

I’ll take this one.

Craig Fuller here, CEO of FLYING. The grand prize has been awarded, but after deliberating, the recipient chose the $100k cash prize instead of the ICON.

The aircraft in question was owned by FLYING, so the ICON bankruptcy had zero bearing on the award.

It took us a bit of time to get the award winner to respond to our outreach and to accept the prize.

We will have an announcement this coming week with the award recipient details.

Craig Fuller here, CEO of FLYING. The grand prize has been awarded, but after deliberating, the recipient chose the $100k cash prize instead of the ICON.

The aircraft in question was owned by FLYING, so the ICON bankruptcy had zero bearing on the award.

It took us a bit of time to get the award winner to respond to our outreach and to accept the prize.

So why such poor interaction with the public after the drawing? Would it have been that hard to post “The drawing has been completed and we are waiting for the winner to reply. Thanks for your participation” or similar on the Flying website rather than radio silence?

Great. Now why can’t you deliver my magazines?

@Freightalley

Hey, Craig. I have missed several issues of both FLYING and Plane & Pilot. I made a few phone calls to your subscription number which got me promises but no magazines, and I emailed customer service and I even spoke with two of your people at SNF, all to no avail. Your reps at your SNF booth took down all my contact info and promised someone would reach out to me within a few days, but that never happened.

Meanwhile, I did receive an email from FLYING asking why I had not renewed, so I know you folks know how to reach me. You're choosing to ignore a problem rather than fixing it. And why should I renew when you can't even deliver all the mags from my last subscription?

This seems like a pretty shoddy way to treat customers, doesn't it?

Turned out instead of delivering a check, they gave him $100,000 worth of magazine subscriptions to Flying :cool:

How many subscriptions would be worth $100,000?

Taxes are probably why the winner picked the money over the plane. Had the plane been picked, the winner would have had to come up with the money on his/her own to pay taxes, plus registration, etc.

Taxes are probably why the winner picked the money over the plane. Had the plane been picked, the winner would have had to come up with the money on his/her own to pay taxes, plus registration, etc.

There's a good likelihood the winner already owned a plane anyway. I wouldn't have taken the Icon, given the state of the company and the potential difficulty with support. So the choice would be the Astore LSA, a beautiful plane no doubt, but if the winner already had a faster, more capable airplane, why add an LSA to the fleet?

Last edited:
Reactions: WDD
Well, it’s May 29. Almost June. My May issue of P&P finally showed up today. I wonder whether I’ll see the June issue by Independence Day.....

Back